Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Concrete or Pavers

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I need some help in deciding whether to choose pavers or concrete (exposed aggregate).

I have heard that concrete can easily crack if the earth moves but I've also heard that pavers can just as easily move.

What is the best option in regards to driveway and other areas around a house?

Cheers
Bad cracking can only happen if installation wasn't done correctly. There needs to be a good base, reinforcement, be good placement and finishing of the concrete, and expansion joints implemented into the slab to ensure the cracking is controlled and it doesnt end up looking unsightly or rises in the wrong places.

The same can be said for the paving, the driveway will still need a concrete base with pavers on top with the same considerations mentioned above. The quality of the tradesman will determine whether it will move or not. If done right, it will last a long time before you start noticing any ill effects.

With regards to what where, it depends on the budget and the theme of the look of your house. It is common to expose agg the driveway, plain conc the blind side of the house (if not seen much) and use some nice pavers for entertaining areas, or a mix of both.
lightsview,
With pavers, you'll always get weeds (from under or from seeds blown into crevices). Hence regular spraying is required.
We're very conscious about minimising use of chemicals around our home. Thus, concrete gets our vote.
Chris
Hate pavers - they move & weeds grow between them!
Weeds will only grow inbetween pavers if they are laid on sand, the method I had mentioned was to lay them on a concrete slab base then set the pavers in a mortar bed with a hard grout mix in the gaps. Zero weeds and movement then, unless it hasnt been done right and cracks occur and weeds grow in them, but in that case the same would happen with concrete.

There is a perception that pavers means flicking some sand on the ground and throwing some pavers into it, if done properly it is just as long lasting and strong as concrete.
Related
17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

19/11/2023
Expertise on keeping large pavers in place driveway

Renovation + Home Improvement

Appreciate that Chippy. I won’t do sand under pavers and will connect all up under pavers, however I was going to do: 1) Roadbase compacted with manual hand tamper 2)…

22/12/2023
Low Deck Build - Tuff Blocks on pavers

Outdoor Living

Those span tables can be pushed a little for a low deck if you dont mind a little flex. Last deck I did, I pushed it a little and it was still rock solid - no noticeable…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum