Aug 25, 2021 12:55 am
I would like some advice about building a bench/seat next to my pool. The plan is to try my hand at a DIY job (cannot afford to pay someone).
The bench would be about 5 meters long, 50 cm high and 50cm deep. It would be against a shed wall so only needs to have one side and the top with panels.
My plan is this:
* Dig 6 holes and put in some stainless steel stirrups. (stainless as next to pool which is salt water) (2 each end and two in the middle)
* Fill with concrete - as there will only be 50cm between each pair of stirups, the concrete would be joined up for both.
* Use some 90mm posts (very short) and then some other framing pine wood to make a structure
* Attach some fake wood decking boards to the side and top. (3x140 on the side and 3x140 on the top)
* The frame nor boards would not touch the shed at all.
My problem is that when I have started digging down, there are some pool pipes, vine roots in the way as per the photo. I am unsure if i can simply pour concrete right over all this and it will both hold it's strength and also not crack/affect the pipes over time. Would I need to wrap the pipes in some type of foam insulation to allow for a little bit of expansion etc ? (the pipes might have 50C water from the heating). Should I chop away the roots or would they be ok (as i like the vine). I suspect also that I will need to dig down deeper - maybe 30cm or so?
Should i try and attach to the concreate on the shed slab or pool tiles slab or just have it free standing?
Sign in or Join to reply to this Topic
RidzoDo I need to remove the grass roots? Couch - Round upDo I need to remove the grass roots? Couch - Round up
Thanks for the reply , yeah I may have got a bit carried away but I was worried about the grass coming back , its prehistoric this stuff ! grows into everything
imnurlinaConcreting price and advanages waffle slab vs traditional slConcreting price and advanages waffle slab vs traditional sl
Hi there guys, I've just spoken to my Structural Engineer and he recommends traditional slabs for our home but says it's my choice whether to choose a waffle or…