Apr 29, 2018 10:14 pm
I’ve recently regrouted some gaps between the tiles in my shower recess however in areas it hasn’t seemed to set properly and sections simply washed away the first time the shower was used. Hoping folks can shed some light on what’s gone wrong. A few details below as to what I did:
- removed all the old grout the whole way around the tiles I was regrouting with a grout saw
- cleaned and removed any moisture from the gaps between the tiles
- I used premix grout and applied with a rubber grouting tool
- I did the grouting just before going away for a few days so the area did not get exposed to water for a few days following
- after getting back there were two spots where the grout seemed to have shrunk and small holes had appeared. I’d been pretty thorough to make sure the gaps between the tiles were filled fully but I guess its possible that I hadn’t done this properly. The grout also seemed chalky in spots.
- on first exposure to water sections of the grout washed away immediately
- other sections have remained and seem to have set properly
My guess is that there may have been some moisture under the shower floor from where there were existing gaps in the grout and this soaked back into the grout - is moisture in the grout a reason why it hasn’t set properly?
Sign in or Join to reply to this Topic
StructuralBIMGuyReplacing standard shower head with a double shower headReplacing standard shower head with a double shower head
I would do the same.. doubt i would need a plumber to swap over a simple shower head OT, As many battlers & punters on this forum are aware after entering Contracts…