Aug 26, 2010 9:41 pm
We r currently renovating our newly purchased double brick 1980's home starting with the bathroom, In what order should we begin this?, We will be gutting out the bathroom ourselves and we are novices to this so our plans after weeks or research are as follows
- Turn water and power off
- Removing heater, mirror,shower screen, vanity, mirror
- Building report stated asbestos walls(obvious i guess given age) so we are ripping walls down SAFELY(P2 Masks,coveralls, gloves, goggles,heavy duty plastic sheeting, pva mixed with water etc)
- Removing bath and floor tiles.
Once this is done we are going to get the plumber and electrician out to sort the trade side of things. Ongoing consulting
- Plastering of new walls
- Fit out for bath, builder/carpenter to make bath hob??/shower recess shelf??/waterproofing
-Tiler for floors and walls
- Shower screen installed
- Electrical wiring
- Vanity and tapware
Are we on the right track?? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!!
Re: Bathroom Reno Advice!2
Aug 27, 2010 12:30 pm
Hi, I am currently renovating too. I have just begun with the converting of laundry to ensuite (laundry will be moved to back bathrm at later date). I am right in the middle of it. I got quotes from two builders who organise/oversee the whole things and all trades. Their prices were around $15000. To try to save money I am attempting the overseeing and organising myself!!
This is the order I did things:
1. Chatted to plumber about rough estimate of plumbing costs and whether possible to fit vanity, toilet and 900 shower
2. Quotes from tiler/batroom renovators to gut laundry. Then return later to tile.
3. Tiler gutted room
4. Carpenter built new cavity slider, shower niche and double stud walls for shower screen
5. Electrician in to move/alter power. Add 3 in 1 in ceiling
6. Plumbers in for 'rough' plumbing (THIS IS WHAT I AM UP TO TODAY)
7. Plasterer in on Tuesday to replaster with villaboard and normal plaster and new cornicing/patch up
8. Paint - my job!!
9. Electrican back to put in points
10. Tiler to waterproof and tile
11. Plumbers back to fit off taps, toilet
12. Shower screen and mirror installed
13. Decorate and enjoy!!
The last couple weeks have been huge!! I have barely stopped! Lots of running around and phone calls and quotes!!
1. Vanity shopping took ages!! Difficulty finding stone offcut for bench etc. After making sure a particular size fits buy your vanity BEFORE beginning reno
2. Tile shopping is equally hard. Pick out your tiles before reno too. Thankfully I did do this. It took me about a mth to choose, but I finally decided two weeks ago and have had the time to look at them over different lights, plus take samples on my vanity hunt! Yesterday I just went and ordered all the boxes. Easy!
3. Shop around for toilets and tapware. There are huge variations in price. You can really save alot of money by looking around. Visit plumbing supply shops, Bunning and Auction houses. However, tapware and toilets I wanted to get from a reputable place.
4. Be prepared for alot of dust and dirt!! I am also converting the formal lounge to a master bedroom (to adjoin new ensuite). The house is a mess!! And cold and draughty. But will be worth it!
Renovation is a wonderful, yet stressful, journey. Good luck!
Sign in or Join to reply to this Topic
OurcastleBathroom Reno Inspiration...Bathroom Reno Inspiration...
We are looking at renovating our bathroom and it's current layout is very standard, having seen it in many homes of it's age. Just wondering if anyone has any before and…
building-expertIs it plausible to do parts of a bathroom reno yourself?Is it plausible to do parts of a bathroom reno yourself?
Good answer from arcadelt but I would just like to add warning about Asbestos. If the dwelling was built in 1985 or earlier it likely has asbestos cement sheet backing for…
jerrywilsonMy first kitchen reno designs. Please tell me what you thinkMy first kitchen reno designs. Please tell me what you think
I think it's a good idea, but you need professional help. Once i "made" all myself, it was horrible