Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Heating and Cooling - High efficiency w/ Allergies

Page 1 of 1
Hi Homeone,

Myself and wife have committed to building our new home with Boutique, but have to make a decision on heating and cooling within the next week to progress forward.

The house is going to be a 31 sq single story, open living in rear and 4 bedrooms.

What i'd like to know is people's recommendation on heating and cooling systems that take into consideration the following:
- Myself and son suffer from eczema flare ups which we believe is due to allergies and possibly dry heating conditions (currently only have a old vulcan gas heater)
- Would like to have a high energy efficient system that does not cost an extreme amount to run.
- Would like to zone the house, as we will likely only be using the rear living and 2 bedrooms 99% of the time and believe its unnecessary to condition the other spaces
- Likely to install a solar system later down the track which we believe will assist with the energy usage, so would have a preference to have a electric heating and cooling system
- Do not have 3 phase power accounted for, so ideally would like to know what is achievable with single phase
- Hydronic heating is an option which they have costed at $18k which we are considering, but ideally would like to have a system under $15k that does both heating and cooling.

Appreciate all your help

Thanks Simon
Hello Simon,

I am not sure if this is a late reply. Given your requirements, I would think a hydronic radiator panel system would be a good solution if you are happy to accept the relatively high initial cost. The fact that it has local control on each radiator means you can turn off the rooms on demand if you are not using them. also there are smart control systems using apps etc if you would want to go that way ( cost more $$ though ).

With a limited experience of showroom visits I have done recently and feedback from two existing users I found it is a highly desirable system with benefits to the allergy conditions.

The disadvantage is again is the upfront cost ( compared to a ducted heating + addon cooling or reverse cycle system ).
Or you can go with far infrared heating panels. They are much more efficient than traditional heaters and relatively cheap to install.
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

13/06/2023
Concreting surface too high

Paving & Concreting

It will be neat but you won't have much freeboard. At least they are not weep holes. Are you in a high intensity rainfall region? The regulatory slope is only required…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum