Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

evaporative cooling

Page 1 of 1
Hi Roomies,

Going to build close to the bay in Vic. Looking for suggestions on the heating and cooling.
Evap. cooling, does that bring in the outdoor stink indoors ? Well, I believe during the summer months the air will be stink due to sea weed and even the low tide could have an impact.
My limited knowledge on the technology tells me it drags the air from outside, makes it cools it down.
Where as refrigerated cooling is something different. But refrigerated is a quite costly option.
Cheers
MB
Refrigerated AC is also much more costly to operate for cooling (though reverse cycle AC is now the cheapest form of heating).

Evaporative cooling is cheaper to run (uses a fair bit of water). It's not recommended for humid areas, so may not be appropriate near the bay. Yes, you have to keep windows ajar, so could get beach smells. But is it really that stinky? I live very close to the beach, but never smell the seaweed. Love the salty smell of the ocean.

Don't forget fans, the cheapest & most environmentally friendly form of cooling. Most importantly, a good house design is critical. Very few/nil westerly windows, north facing living areas with a high proportion of north facing windows (with eaves). House plan designed for cross ventilation.
Evaporative cooling is the most powerful and cheapest cooling technology. When air blow over the water, it gets cool. Water evaporated with blowing air, utilize latent heat from water itself thus reducing overall temperature of air and water.
Direct Evaporative cooling effective only in extremly hot and dry areas like deserts where humidity is very low and it is less effective in humid condition. So to provide comfort in humid areas and in dry areas as well, Indirect evaproative cooling is better with low humidity and temperature.
Related
You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum