Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Passive shading NW Facing glass doors

Page 1 of 1
recently moved into my house and have 2 large 2400x2400 glass doors facing North West onto my paved area,
as expected the area these face onto has gotten quite warm on the warm days we have had since i had handover.

I am now working out best way to prepare for next summer
What would be a good way to reduce passive heating in this area during the warmer months and still allow decent light and passive solar heating in winter?

Decidous climber on a pergola has been mentioned to provide summer shade but doesnt really fit with my low maintenance plan i think. I have also considered shadecloth, shadesails and even just a retractable awning. But i do want to shade the paved area as well at some point.
A louvre pergola is out of my budget at the moment though i know thats probably the most suitable thing for my needs but a delay in anything permanent for another 3 years may allow me to consider this option.
Width of area is about 7.1 meters and 3.5 meters to edge of paved area and then anotehr meter to the fenceline
Entilzha
recently moved into my house and have 2 large 2400x2400 glass doors facing North West onto my paved area,
as expected the area these face onto has gotten quite warm on the warm days we have had since i had handover.

I am now working out best way to prepare for next summer
What would be a good way to reduce passive heating in this area during the warmer months and still allow decent light and passive solar heating in winter?

Have you actually mapped the travel of the sun at different times of the year? There is an app for that.

The North part is good, provided you have eaves that shield the higher sun in summer, but let the lower sun shine in in winter. The West part is a problem and you should shield from that as best as you can, if necessary based on the map.

Finally, I wouldn’t be too worried about the current hot spell. We planned for sun to shine in from now, but of course with this unseasonable weather it has been hotter than expected. It is likely just an aberration this year and if you do anything permanent you might regret it in future years.

These screen captures show the map of the sun at our place at the winter and summer solstice. The difference in orientation can be read in the summary at the bottom: 303° in June vs 242° in December.

Thanks will look at some AR apps for more information. I have used suncalc but that was more for checking my solar system exposure to direct sunlight

During march i had the sun start creeping in through the doors from about 2pm (eaves are only 450mm) and was heating the floor, glass and blinds considerably - even on a day in the high 20's i can feel heat radiating from the roller blinds from about a foot away - i know in winter this will be good
The current roller blinds are black and have wondered if getting white ones for the hot weather would help but think they will just reflect back onto the glass.
I do want to try for some sort of undercover entertaining area at the back though but want to consider as many things first esp if i do something permanent. have a cantilever umbrella for use currnetly though havent put it up yet
Entilzha
even on a day in the high 20's i can feel heat radiating from the roller blinds from about a foot away - i know in winter this will be good
The current roller blinds are black and have wondered if getting white ones for the hot weather would help but think they will just reflect back onto the glass.

If you are considering replacing the blinds then consider honeycomb/cellular blinds as they actually provide a level of insulation (up to R1.0 I am told). Something else you might consider is the glass you have installed and whether upgrading that might help.
Thanks. ill look at as many options as i can - plenty of time before next summer - will see how it goes through winter first to get a feel of winter light and warmth from these doors.
Related
26/10/2023
Which glass for stacker doors

Windows & Doors

What do you need them to withstand? If it's normal wear and tear, then either will do, if you want resistance to ingress then laminated would be the favourite, but only…

7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum