Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

100kg air conditioner on Colorbond roof?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

My AC guy installed this 110kg air conditioner unit sitting on colorbond roof, on one of these polyslab things. (Hasn't bolted it down yet).

This doesn't look good to me. I had the roof reinforced under the colourbond, so the roof won't give in (huge chunk of plywood under that colorbond).

This just looks wrong. The polyslab is meant for mounting on concrete slabs.

This will try to flatten out the colourbond roof peaks and make it unstable won't it?

Does anyone know if this installation is acceptable? Has any Australian standard been broken or weight limit exceeded for the colourbond? The air conditioning guy won't fix it unless I can point to some rule/regulation that's been broken (other than common sense)..

Cheers + thanks
Scott.

https://www.reecegroup.com.au/assets/pr ... hero-1.jpg
Quote:
This will try to flatten out the colourbond roof peaks and make it unstable won't it?

I don't think you're giving the ridges on the colourbond enough credit to their strength. Admittedly I agree it doesn't look that great but it is 110kg distributed over a number of ridges. I personally wouldn't sit anything that heavy on a sheetmetal roof without bracing under it first. I've braced my one of my own outdoor units at home with noggins fixed between to the rafters under the sheetmetal and used a roof mounted steel mounting bracket to sit the outdoor unit on. It's sitting over a number of ridges and fixed down into the noggins. None of the ridges has flattened to date though my outdoor unit is only half the weight at 65kg. I'll try take a picture for you if I can get up there whilst still daylight.
Quote:
Does anyone know if this installation is acceptable?

This is subjective. It's not the first time I've personally seen an outdoor unit installed as such and probably won't be the last.
Quote:
Has any Australian standard been broken or weight limit exceeded for the colourbond?

Contact Bluescope Steel or their distributor Lysaght Steel and ask their opinion on the matter.

The wall behind the outdoor unit, it is a solid masonry wall or just EPS panel rendered over? You could get the outdoor unit put on a bracket if the wall behind is sturdy enough to carry the weight but I dare say you'll probably be coughing up the difference for the wall bracket and misc if that wasn't what was originally quoted and allowed for in the job.

Alternatively you could get the outdoor unit mounted on a pair of condenser feet with sit in the valleys of the sheetmetal and are hollow to allow runoff to flow through them if required.

hth
Cheers. Thanks a lot for your informative reply!
Sorry for the late reply, been flat out in the heat. I can't seem to work out how to host pics now that photobucket has gone corporate. See link to mine. It's been up over 12 months without any damage to the ridges.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ot5ilD ... sp=sharing
Related
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

21/02/2024
BOUNDARY FENCES: Timber Lapped and Capped OR Colorbond?

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, Our boundary perimeter fences need replacing (3 sides). From everyone's experience, what would you install? Timber lapped and capped OR colorbond? Thank you.

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum