Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Actron ducted ac efficiency

Page 1 of 1
It’s 33 degrees outside I have my ducted ac set at 25 degrees which means it cycles on at 26 degrees and cycles back off at 25.5 degrees. What I have been noticing is it turns on for 10 minutes then turns off for 10 minutes and just keeps cycling like this continually am I thrashing it.

It’s a 27 square home colourbond roof 2700 high ceilings 3.5r roof insulation 2.0r wall insulation. Mostly tiled floor garage and alfresco no insulation. I mean every 10 minutes off and on is a bit crazy and I couldn’t imagine it’s good for the scroll compressor. I’m also just trying to cool 2 zones living and family I have all bedroom doors shut in the house and no windows open etc. we have a high roof pitch my next step is going to be adding whirly for roof vent and perhaps insulating the garage also. What size ac should we have for our house. I ran a ceiling space test yesterday the thermometer on the bats near the garage was only reading about 6 degrees more than the garage air itself which I thought was pretty ok considering no ventilation
Maybe check with the installer whether you can widen the throttling range of the controller.

Also to lose 0.5 degrees of temperature in 10 minutes could mean poor controller location.

Can't really elaborate more as you've not really given enough information to advise on.
I’ve checked the manual I don’t think I can adjust the throttling temp. The a.c controller is in the hallway below the air filter I’m assuming the temp sensor is inside the unit. I think it’s a dumb spot as it’s directly opposite my main bathroom which for some reason is always hot and humid even though it’s insulated the same as the rest of the house. My only guess is the hot roof air enters the bathroom through the fan vents. Our master ensuite though never seems to be humid. I try usually closing the sliding door to the bathroom with the air on but as soon as you open it you can feel the hot humid air.
Any adjustments to throttling range would be an installer setting and not detailed in your user manual, hence the suggestion to contact your installer.

What is the brand of unit? Some brands can be changed to control from either sensor bulb in wall controller or return air sensor.

If your exhaust fans in the bathroom don't have barometric or shut off dampers, maybe you could retrofit these http://www.draftstoppa.com.au/draftstoppa. Is your main bathroom on the western side of your house?
It’s an Actron Sra 153c 14.7kw net reverse cycle. Wat size would this ac suit as originally the house was 25 square but due to promo it got upsized to 27 square. I also paid extra for 2700 high ceilings.
How did you all go with your Actron units with the 40+C days?
Even last Saturday in Sydney which was 38C?

Interesting I found a formula on what size a/c one should purchase to adequately cool a home. My house is approx 260metres square so they estimate wih 2700high ceiling you should have 150 watts per metre square. This equates to 39000 was or a 39 kilowatt system. Yet the builder supplied us with a 14kw system 3 zones and advised only 2 zones are to be used at any one time even though f we want we can run 3 zones. The other stupid thing is the installer has done the family room as our big open area whereas they could have change dit around and had one zone cool a small room with a door on it instead they now have one vent to cool a massive area or I can turn on another zone to cool the same area. how dumb
6banga
Interesting I found a formula on what size a/c one should purchase to adequately cool a home. My house is approx 260metres square so they estimate wih 2700high ceiling you should have 150 watts per metre square. This equates to 39000 was or a 39 kilowatt system. Yet the builder supplied us with a 14kw system 3 zones and advised only 2 zones are to be used at any one time even though f we want we can run 3 zones. The other stupid thing is the installer has done the family room as our big open area whereas they could have change dit around and had one zone cool a small room with a door on it instead they now have one vent to cool a massive area or I can turn on another zone to cool the same area. how dumb

It will and should depend on the quality of insulation. In addition, there are rooms which you do not necessarily have to cool (e.g. garage, storage, etc.).

Also, it is highly unlikely would need to cool all the bedrooms as well as living spaces at once.
6banga

from the 260 sqm exclude non aircon areas like Garage, bathrooms, laundry etc..
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum