Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Whirly bird or solar roof ventilation

Page 1 of 1
Good afternoon

Wondering what everyone’s opinion is on wind powered whirlybird and solar vents.
Any opinions before I install one.... people must of conducted this and can provide some feedback on effectiveness
Have a read through that. A few nice tips on the site too
http://efficiencymatrix.com.au/do-whirly-birds-work/
Why not TO not bring in heat into the roof at the first place?

Insulate roofs similar to cathedral style system and use breathable insulation and structural support for the roof "sandwich".

You will be also able to turn your attic into usable or storage space when needed.
I take it you need eave vents for the fan to be able to draw in outside air?

What area of vent for one fan?
I'm looking into using a solar vent as well, i think they are more reliable than a whirly bird since you could choose to turn them on and off depending on roof temperature.

Take a look at this blog which does a comparisons of the products available on the market

https://www.roofventilationblog.com.au/ ... -2018/815/
We have just purchased an Edmonds AiroMatic that our builder will be installing probably next week, along with our roof! It is reportedly worth around 6 standard whirly birds in terms of air movement. It uses a standard 240v plug and has built in temp & humidity sensors.

Will show some pics once it’s up and going.
Althom
I take it you need eave vents for the fan to be able to draw in outside air?

What area of vent for one fan?

Interesting that there's no answer to this question on here or directly via the suppliers website.
Inlet vent area will be critical to the performance of the fan and yet there's no info available?????
I have a full length ridge vent. I used the type you shingle over. They are near invisible.

I had earlier put in a power gable vent. Ever since I put a new roof on and cleaned up the soffit vents, I have never heard it run.
I had an extraction fan (non solar) in my old house and air was the best $400 I spent. I had the thermostat set to 28°.

Whirly birds for me are counter productive as they work all year round. Hot air rises and shoot out those vents. In my opinion that’s the last thing I want in winter.

I regularly drive past homes on cold days and see them spinning away on people’s roofs. I bet they probably have their air con going to warm the house.

Why expel valuable free warm air in your roof when it could be there warming your home.

Just my opinion.

Is there any way to prevent smoke from outside to come into the house on these units?

They are extraction. But the air needs to come from where.

kinigo270
Is there any way to prevent smoke from outside to come into the house on these units?

Just my opinion Refer this
https://www.solarking.net.au/product/solar-roof-vent
Related
1/10/2023
Pest Proofing Ventilation gaps in brick veneer home

General Discussion

Brass fly wire, you will need to cut it, shape it and jam it into brick slots

16/12/2023
solar car port in sydney

General Discussion

I looked into it a few years ago and my conclusion was to just build a carport that will support panels and get a system installed separately. The company I looked at had…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum