Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Evaporative cooling vs Split system

Page 1 of 2
My husband and I are building Delta 25S with Metricon in Melbourne. We recently had our colors appointment and next week we have our electrical appointment.
We are stuck with the decision making for Evaporative cooling.

Many people suggest us its not worth it and people land up getting a split anyway. I have read reviews that it doesn't work above 30 degree temperature, there is always a wet feeling in the house and furniture.

Any suggestions anyone?? What is better- cost effective and usage wise?
I've had evaporate cooling for 14 years and add on for 3 years.
Evap is great at night, you sleep beautifully, but on muggy days, yes you will get hot sweaty cooling that barely makes a difference, when it's 35 or so, also not great, on dry days, when it's 27-32,will work well.
Modern add on cooling is not real expensive to run, as it turns itself off when reaching your desired temperature and comes back on when the temperature starts to go up, it will work better, all the time in all temperatures, is much cooler.
We have solar with our house, so air con runs very cheaply, as when you use the aircon after work and in the day time on weekends, you use your own electricity.
Go with add on air conditioning, I've had both and for melbourne whether, it's air conditioning, all the way, no biast here, just experienced opinion.

Joker, what size house and how much did add-on air cost in your installation? Did you have to plan your current ducts to allow for it in future installs, or just added to the gas without much issue?
Future trends are to higher battery storage capacity with minimal price increase and lower costs for pv.

If you don't ignore future trends, you will ignore evap air con.
In this house we've got reverse-cycle, in my previous house we had evap. In our new build we're having reverse-cycle. Key reasons:
Different parts of Australia will have different needs, for melbourne generally, heating is more important, so as long as your ducts are the bigger type, you use your heating ducts for add on air con, we would use heating at least twice, maybe three times more in geelong, Melbourne areas, most here get gas central heating, and if you preplan and have the bigger ductwork needed for aircon, it is simple to add on air-conditioning, house is 48 square, garage not air conditioned, rest of house has 4 zones with actron add on air con,, 17 kW system, does house easily, never need more than 3 zones on at a time, our windows are thermally broken and double glazed, also have solar, which means when we are using our air conditioning, generally after work and on weekends, we are mainly using our own electricity, which makes air-conditioning really cost effective to run, and works really well, all the time, the old style air conditioning of just freezing you to death, then drop dead further when your bill arrives, is far removed from modern day air-conditioning,

I'm looking at a 38 sq home, how much did the 17kw ad-on system cost you Joker? Ball park figure is good, if you don't want exact. Just trying to get an idea. I've read some are quoted upwards of 20k ?!
Our actron add on air con plus brevis 6 star ducted heating was 13, 900,this was done by a brilliant experienced installer using the highest quality and top notch design.

This was done post handover? But you had the appropriate sized ducts installed during build?
algernon
In this house we've got reverse-cycle, in my previous house we had evap. In our new build we're having reverse-cycle. Key reasons:

• Energy-efficient heating as well as cooling (cheaper to operate than the gas system we had, at least with energy prices here in the ACT)

Only issue with Canberra with reverse cycle is heating the heating effect is marginal on the very cold winter mornings. The units can spend more time defrosting than they do heating. Our struggles below about -5.

But cost wise I was very surprised at how 'cheap' our power bill for the winter quarter was. It was about $850, and that is heating a 200m2+ double story house. Downstairs during the day (and for a lot of the time during the day too as I wasn't working). In my old house we had gas heating and the winter bill was around $600 to heat a 110m2 house.
Joker
Our actron add on air con plus brevis 6 star ducted heating was 13, 900,this was done by a brilliant experienced installer using the highest quality and top notch design.

Joker, are you in Melb?

If so can you please message me your air con guy's details?

ilmessaggio
Type of house and geographical location usually determines the best approach
Melbourne generally fares better with evaporative
Both types have their advantage and disadvantages and asking one eyed individuals is not the best way to go

Melb has humid summers and evaporative is next to useless in the peak of summer, when you really need it.

One eyed? I have both evaporative and split air conds in the same house.

As I said, I have both but evaporative doesn't work when you really need it.

Does it sound like I'm avocating evaporative?

As I have both, I'm in a better position than most to suggest that refrigerated is better suited in Melbourne.

If one is not to express their opinion then why even have forums.

You believe that evaporative is better but haven't explained why. As you're entitled to your opinion, so am I.
There are plenty of people who went for evaporative and have had to install split systems later.
Get it right the first time.
Old Bloke
There are plenty of people who went for evaporative and have had to install split systems later.

Plenty of people also don’t understand how evap works and how to use them properly.

Me personally if I were in Melbourne and just wanted to add aircon (the assumption being i already had a decent heater) I would go evap without a second though.

If new house or I needed a heater too I would go reverse cycle but only because I would prefer just one system and the cost of heating with gas is getting stupid. Reverse cycle with solar etc starting to become the cheap option.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 2387a4d95e

Read the above and make up your own mind.
AJW
Old Bloke

Plenty of people also don’t understand how evap works and how to use them properly.

Me personally if I were in Melbourne and just wanted to add aircon (the assumption being i already had a decent heater) I would go evap without a second though.

If new house or I needed a heater too I would go reverse cycle but only because I would prefer just one system and the cost of heating with gas is getting stupid. Reverse cycle with solar etc starting to become the cheap option.

Where do you live?

Ever been in Melbourne on high 30s or 40 deg day?

JB1
AJW
Old Bloke

Where do you live?

I live in Canberra and have lived in Melbourne. Again as I stated one big issue is people do not understand how evap works and how to use it properly. Sure doesn’t cool as well as refrigerative at higher outside temperatures but like everything in life there are trade off’s to be made. Evap when used properly will take the edge off those extra hot or humid days that which for many is good enough. Not everyone wants to be living in an igloo.

And I stated above these days in Canberra I have ducted reverse cycle in my new (18 month house). The trade off for me is the extra cost of running reverse cycle, but I went reverse cycle because new house, I didn’t want gas heating (so needed reverse cycle anyway) and have a double story house. So the logical choice.

But if I were to move back to Melbourne in an older house that had a good heater and no a/c I would not hesitate for one moment going evap.
[quote defaultattr=""]
JB1
AJW

Where do you live?

I live in Canberra and have lived in Melbourne. Again as I stated one big issue is people do not understand how evap works and how to use it properly. Sure doesn’t cool as well as refrigerative at higher outside temperatures but like everything in life there are trade off’s to be made. Evap when used properly will take the edge off those extra hot or humid days that which for many is good enough. Not everyone wants to be living in an igloo.

And I stated above these days in Canberra I have ducted reverse cycle in my new (18 month house). The trade off for me is the extra cost of running reverse cycle, but I went reverse cycle because new house, I didn’t want gas heating (so needed reverse cycle anyway) and have a double story house. So the logical choice.

But if I were to move back to Melbourne in an older house that had a good heater and no a/c I would not hesitate for one moment going evap.[/quote]
What is it that you think those that have evaporative don't understand about how it works and what specifically are you saying they are doing wrong when using it?
Old Bloke
[quote defaultattr=""]
JB1
AJW

Where do you live?

But if I were to move back to Melbourne in an older house that had a good heater and no a/c I would not hesitate for one moment going evap.

What is it that you think those that have evaporative don't understand about how it works and what specifically are you saying they are doing wrong when using it?[/quote]

I'd like to know also as I must be doing it all wrong because evaporative doesn't help my house when it's humid and 35deg.

Related
10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

13/02/2024
Charged Rainwater System Design

General Discussion

Once you know the basics, the rest is easy. Read my post in the thread linked below. viewtopic.php?p=1919271#p1919271

25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum