Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Air con vent Location in a relatively big space

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

On my plan I have 3 AC vents in the living/dinning area but that's not how they have been installed. They are all installed in one line that is not even in the middle of the room. Apparently they couldn't do it as per plan because we have a steel beam installed across the room and some parts of the ceiling are under bathroom and they can't drill holes there.

Ideally I would like to have the vents where they were meant to be but it looks like I can either have them all in line or the vent on the left can be moved to the bottom a bit. I don't mind either way as long as they manage to cool down the room. I'm in Brisbane and the room is facing East.

Would they work?

Thanks
pawelpabich
Hi,

On my plan I have 3 AC vents in the living/dinning area but that's not how they have been installed. They are all installed in one line that is not even in the middle of the room. Apparently they couldn't do it as per plan because we have a steel beam installed across the room and some parts of the ceiling are under bathroom and they can't drill holes there.

Ideally I would like to have the vents where they were meant to be but it looks like I can either have them all in line or the vent on the left can be moved to the bottom a bit. I don't mind either way as long as they manage to cool down the room. I'm in Brisbane and the room is facing East.

Would they work?

Thanks

Happens all the time. Our last build, the a/c installer did to us the same thing as you. I accepted it last time but never again. The a/c struggled to cool one area. When i complained to the a/c manager he said i should have insisted that the installers put the vents where they were meant to go. That was 10 years ago. Now we're building again and i intend to have the vents exactly where they are meant to be.
So, to answer your question, no, I would not accept it. Lazy installers trying to shortcut everything!
Spooky8080 did you have the vents in single line like in my case? In theory the cool air should drop down and hit the floor and disperse in all directions. And because it is heavier it should be pushing hot air to the edge of the room. I'm concern mostly about cooling. Just wandering if you can provide more details so can see whether they apply to me.

Thanks!
We had an almost identical situation as yours. We had a row of three vents to service dining room, family room and a large rumpus room. The trouble was, the vent for the large rumpus room was right on the edge of the room, so the hot air was forced to the other side of the room, which happened to be where our lounge was. Since that was where we spent most of our time watching tv, you could really feel the temperature difference. Very annoying. Don't get me wrong, most of the time it was ok, but on really hot days it was not comfortable and the a/c struggled to ever really get that room cool. A few years later I had an independent a/c guy come out because I was concerned with the a/c motor cutting in and out so often. Without me even mentioning the vents, he pointed to the problem. A/C vents not being centered in large rooms (also our master bedroom which because it was so big, it really should have had 2 vents). Another 2 years later, the evaporator unit failed, and I called the same a/c guy out and he attributed the early failure was due to poorly positioned vents, leading to the a/c to work overtime to cool. We had initially spent a fortune on the a/c and had what we thought was the best system available but due to the vents being incorrectly spaced, it may as well have been a cheap and nasty system. Go look at the display homes. Their vents are always positioned perfectly.
If you can have your vents repositioned more centrally in large rooms, I would certainly do it.
Thanks!
Just a quick update I managed to convince the builder to distribute the vents a bit more. They are as far from the return vent as we could place them.

Good result and hats off for not getting bullied into accepting you're not happy with.
Thanks bels. This community helped me a lot!
Related
17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum