Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Brivis Ice Cooler installed.....

Page 1 of 4
Well we finally had our Brivis Ice unit installed...well sort of????

The installers from Dandy Air turned up as booked a few weeks back, there has been a delay getting the Ice unit in from Brivis, but it was now available and was ready for installation...

So they turn up...

Problem #1.
No power has been run for the unit....hmmm we specifically paid for 3 phase and had surge protection put in for the cooler and they didn't run the wires from the meter box??? derrr????

Problem #2.
The position of the pipes that were installed were such that this is what it looked like when they installed the unit:

It seems that they have not even bothered to measure the unit and think to themselves, hey its going on a small wall, why not centralise it and move the pipes accordingly over???

Too big a decision i think for those concerned!!!

The view from the laundry door:

Luckily i stuck my head out to check how it was going and told them to stop....dont even bother finishing the install if that is where its going!!!

My kids would run out of that door and rip open their arms on that unit!!!
No way was i going to accept that!!!

So on the phone to our CSR who says i should speak to the Handover dept. I then called the Handover Mgr and the Supervisor to get someone to decide what to do....The guys from Dandy Air said someone would have to pay the $300 to have it moved....hmmm well it sure as hell wont be me!!!!

So eventually the Handover Supervisor rings back, they have the all clear to move it...but if we have any issues he will call me back on Wednesday to discuss....still waiting for that call.

Here is what it looks like now....still not central, but better, but i'm not sure about the distance it now is off the brick wall.....

I would love to hear from those who already have these units what your thoughts are in regards to the installation. Matt or Vanderlay perhaps??

Not sure about the pipework though.....

Still waiting for power to be installed and then the techs have to come back and set it all up... But seriously, how hard can it be to centralise it on the one wall???

This is not a Henley issue i have to say, well i dont preceive it that way, this ****** with Dandy Air...they planned the install and where it was all going, preplumbed it all and were to come back for the final installation.

I know that Matt has had issues with his install...lets hope their service has improved...somewhat.....
Looks like Dandy Air are back to their usual standard!

Seriously .... c'mon guys!

I wonder if they would do the same at their own homes?

The owner of Dandy Air is a great guy and he will jump on this...its the guys who install it that seem to be this issue.

P, because the pipe has been extended the clearance is now required to be greater to be away from the pipe.

I would have made them pull the pipes (or cap it) and run a new one so the unit is the correct distance from the wall.

We have ours mounted to the house so it is quite close but yours is not even!!

This is a Henley Issue 100%. You paid them not Dandy Air for the unit/job.

What they have offered/done here is a patch job at best.

Start jumping 'P'!!
Thanks Matt, much appreciated. I was hoping you'd check out this thread...

I'll get on the phone tomorrow as my expected phone call from our Handover Supervisor didn't happen....

I was under the impression that new lines would be run and brickwork moved etc to accomodate them, but it seems that they have taken the easy way out....

What worries my is that there are only 2 loxon's holing this unit down on 2 concrete pads that are not even mortared to the ground for stability!

The unit rocks when pushed, even gently! So whats holding it on? the pipework and the 2 loxon's...not adequate i would think!!!
So i would think that that would be one more issue to deal with....
We asked for it to be floor mounted so that we didn't get any vibration/noise through the walls.... (do you find you get that with your unit Matt? being wall mounted?)

But seriously we expected a better job than that!

LOL, you guys know me by now....i wont let it rest...
More angst *P*...argh...for you....all I can say is the square, the tape measure, and the spirit level all seem to be missing from modern tradies toolboxes.....
....the....er...foundation you've described sounds like it's completely inadequate, I wouldn't want that box falling on a littly.
When the window is open you hear it but when it is closed...no vibrations no noise...

Just 'ice'y cold!!
mattwalker
Just 'ice'y cold!!

LOL, looking forward to being "icy cold" this summer!!!!
LOL, sorry Phoenix, but when I read the first post in this thread I thought you had installed some big machine to keep your ice cool! I thought, gee, they must use a lot of ice?!

It's just clicked after the last two posts that it's actually an air conditioner

Hope they come back and install it properly - it's not the kind of thing you want to be unstable with kids running around
LOL, you're funny donuts!

It WILL be fixed, i'm not spending crap loads of money for that!!!!
It has to be a safety issue if it wobbles, you would think anyway??
funny or just a duffer...

I like your attitude - it WILL be fixed.
donuts
LOL, sorry Phoenix, but when I read the first post in this thread I thought you had installed some big machine to keep your ice cool! I thought, gee, they must use a lot of ice?!

Thats what I thought

I thought wow great parties at P's!!!
Hello Phoenix
I'm a heating & cooling installer with my own bussiness and yes i agree that they have taken short cuts and done a rough job the unit should be supported to the wall with 2 brackets the pipe work should have been covered the distance off the wall is a little bit out the unit can't be hard up to the wall but could have been a little bit closer the reason they have left it that far out is because they would'nt of been able to get the bends on the pipe work any tighter with out kinky the pipe
I always prefer mounting the aircons on brackets it becomes a much tidier job rather than having a couple of garden pavers
I also hope the unit does'nt back down because Brivis are hopeless with service you would have to wait about 6 weeks for them to come out
You also know if the keep mucking you around and not postion the unit the way you want it you can ring the plumbing board and they will make them fix it at no cost and would fine them if they don't do it to the plumbing standards i'm always going around fixing their **** work if you have any questions feel free to ask
PS i just noticed another thing in the picture if you are planning on concreting that area later the unit will be below that area and will cause you more problems they needed to raise it aleast another 2 bricks higher
Hi Pheonix,
Our unit is installed on 3 L brackets only downside there is slight noise and vibration when in rooms behind unit. Friend of mine had 21 kw unit installed on a concrete slab and is a little quiter. Dandy air also did ours and Heater install was not the best although he contracts everthing out i beleive A/C guys didnt even top up gas when finished .Brivis do say they have a 15 metre free charge length and ours is right on this length but i know others with shorter lines have added gas did they top up yours ? but i guess they need comp running to do this ?.
G'Day Everyone,

I as well have the Brivis add-on cooling installed and am very disapointed with it considering how much the whole installation cost. I used a company called DualHeating. Out house is 264sqm 4 bedrooms. They recomended the Brivis CDU18A-9 addon cooling. The place is devided into 2 zones with zone A (living areas) having 9 outlets and zone B (bedrooms) having 4 outlets. I can tell you, no way does this unit keep the whole house cool. I know today is an extream day with a 40Deg heat wave, but I always thought Id be getting a nice cool house. Instead its struggling to get below 32Deg today. Even in winter when its bloody cold outside the unti struggles to keep the house warm. Some vents deliver such a small amount of air they might as well not be there. The unit was inatalled about 1.5 years ago. I have been thinking of getting some sort of inline fan or booster just to get better air flow. Oh well its too late now, I just need to work out how to fix this thing.

Cheers

John
Homith
G'Day Everyone,

I as well have the Brivis add-on cooling installed and am very disapointed with it considering how much the whole installation cost. I used a company called DualHeating. Out house is 264sqm 4 bedrooms. They recomended the Brivis CDU18A-9 addon cooling. The place is devided into 2 zones with zone A (living areas) having 9 outlets and zone B (bedrooms) having 4 outlets. I can tell you, no way does this unit keep the whole house cool. I know today is an extream day with a 40Deg heat wave, but I always thought Id be getting a nice cool house. Instead its struggling to get below 32Deg today. Even in winter when its bloody cold outside the unti struggles to keep the house warm. Some vents deliver such a small amount of air they might as well not be there. The unit was inatalled about 1.5 years ago. I have been thinking of getting some sort of inline fan or booster just to get better air flow. Oh well its too late now, I just need to work out how to fix this thing.

Cheers

John

John, have you checked that the ducting hasn't come dislodged up in the roof? Happened to me on Wednesday on that million degree day. Even before that the ducts didn't seem to be blowing enough air but I just thought that was how it was....then all of a sudden no air was blowing on Wednesday....opened up the man hole and got a blast of hot air blowing in my face. The ducting had popped off the unit in the roof. The brilliant tradies did a half baked job on attaching it correctly. I had to do a quick fix with some insulation tape to hold it all together as it was all I had at the time but its doing the trick
Will go up there again to wrap duct tape around it properly later on when its not so stinking hot.
Yes I guess I should go up and have a look. Can't hurt anyhow. As you said tho, Ill wait till maybe tomorrow morning
Too bloody hot today

Cheers
Homith, i have to agree with you, we're having the same issues. We have3 zone motors and a common zone. Atm we have 1 zone and the common working. Our unit has been running since yesterday non stop and i still cant get the house under 28 deg.

Its ok, but not if you're working etc in the house.

Might have to make a call to Dandy Air and get them to tweak it (again) an maybe check the gas in the unit, cause this is NOT what i paid $11+k for!!!
The fan speed remains constant and doesn't push out enough air in the house....

Why don't the display homes ever feel this warm?? We bought this unit as it was used in the Henley displays and it is not efficient enough to cool the whole house!!!

It was the unit that the builder suggested but it doesn't effectively cool the whole house as it was intended to do!!!
Yes your right, ya pay that amount of money and you expect the whole house to be cook (or warm). As you mentioned, the display homes seem to be nice and cook all the times, why arnt ours. All I seeem to get from these installers etc are excuses. I am of the mindset now that for anyone, if your going to get aircon installed, do not go for the model that they suggest, go for the MAX.

Cheers

John
It has been very hot lately!!! 43 degrees. So your aircond has been able to drop the temp 15 degrees less than the outside temp. I read some where that they may only drop it 10 degrees from outside temp.

You unit should easily beable to handle 120square meters of living area and a bit more for bedroom area. . Not the whole house.

Have you been able to control external lighting coming into the house. Check all your west facing windows and make sure they are covered up.

We have a 15kwatt unit and it was able to get down to 25/26 yesterday. I think the zone is about 100-120 square metter big.

Oh yeah and the comment about display homes. If you check you will find that they usually have two compressors installed. So effectively two unit where you and I only have one.
Homith
G'Day Everyone,

Cheers

John
Hi John hav brivis 18 kw unit also we have 2 zones living and bedroom 7 ducts in each Yesterday with zone 1 only Living was holding 22 -24 deg inside when 44 outside when al zones open 25-27 our house is 24 squares.
Living areas are larger than bedrooms so i would say zone 1 cooling approx 14-15 squares .Our piping is also very long at 15 mtres and our unit wasnt topped up at install .get the installer to recheck as you should be acheiving sim results we always try and keep all blinds close on days like these .however our main living room does face east and gets a heap of sun until 1.00 pm we are getting windows tinted so performance should be better again.
Hope this helps
Dean
OK, heres a question for you guys then.

We had our Ice unit installed, and supposedly gassed, then they moved it, and replumbed it.

Does it need to be re-gassed??

Because it wasn't at the time??

Also should we have got a new plumbing cert. if they moved it and re-plumbed it a couple of weeks later???

I'm wondering if thats one of the reasons why ours isn't as effective, but also the fan is not blowing as hard as i'd think it normally would.......

Does anyone know???
Related
4/09/2023
Newly Installed Aircon Not Sitting Flush with the Wall

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The unit normally clips into a metal plate screwed to the wall, either plate is not flush, or unit not hooked in and could be hanging from the pipes partly, either might…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum