Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Maintaining good air quality in an energy-efficient house?

Page 2 of 2
There are systems like Ventis and others that will use the external air or ceiling air when suitable to heat or cool the house (see my post at http://onsolution.com.au/blog/2012/ventis-fresh-air/).

These systems are not able to heat/cool all day, but only when the conditions are right. Practically, even in the middle of winter, the roof cavity will normally exceed 25degrees so why not use that heat?

In summer, the outside air is often below 25degrees at the end of the day, while the inside of a house is a sauna with the bricks radiating heat.

I'm pushing the boundaries by trying to use the cool air under my house in winter.

Yes, this all relies on having very good filters.
aza0, what kind (brand) of system did you install? We are looking at something similar, but a fair bit bigger I suspect (at least its more expensive, not the best guide).

The best value for money I have been able to find so far has been this mob:
http://www.atlantics.com.au/atlantics-d ... ystem.html
Quite a good system and about 30% cheaper than a more well publicised brand I have seen, but always interested in alternatives, at least until I pull the trigger.
I used this mob:

http://www.airchange.com.au/

But the link you provided looks really good. Do they have a option with a carbon filter? Have you asked for a price?

Please keep us all informed
I could never get a response out of airchange, they only seemed interested in commercial stuff at the time.

I dont know about the carbon filter, whats it for? The filter that comes with the system is medical grade and remove pollens, dust, bacteria, etc. I live in a fairly tree-dense outer suburb, so my outside air is pretty good anyway.

I have several bathrooms/toilets and a kitchen for intake and 5 bedrooms and a living area for outlets and the whole lot is about $8,800 fully installed. I'm really pleased, I feel for what you get and the quality/efficiency its a very good deal, but I can't help keeping an eye out for what others are doing.
The carbon removes smells. $8800 sounds pretty good, I would be happy to pay that.
Ahh, ok. Well there shouldn't be too much in the way of smells coming from the outside air, not sure what will make it through the standard filters. I'll let you know how it goes in six months hopefully!
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

23/04/2024
How to qualify for 6-star energy rating (pre NCC 2022)

Building A New House

10 years ago was a different software than we use now. it has had a lot of changes over the past years. Improvments to the software and changes to how Nathers models need…

17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum