Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Solar Hot Water and Electricity !

Page 1 of 1
Am building a new house in Qld. Solar Hot Water comes as part of the deal.

We also wanted the Solar Electric.

Question - would 3KW elect system be adequate - since we have Solar Hot Water - or would 5KW be better. Keeping in mind costs etc etc ?

I see some providers also give you up to 9% extra for paying well etc. I presume this is off the cost AFTER the solar is taken into account.

Thanks - SJ
In Victoria we generate around 3.5kw per day for each kw of installed power.

With gas boosted solar we have been using around 16kw per day so we would need 5kw of panels to offset our total electricity usage.

Being in Queensland you may generate a bit more power.

If you are going to have a big area of panels (on a north facing roof) you might need to think about where the hot water panels would be. This link has a suggestion. http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=3604
Thanks for that. I think the solar will have to be on the west facing. The house faces due nth at the rear so the electric will be on that part of the roof.

From what i can work out 3kw of electric will work well. And save a bit too.
Going to stick with the solar HW and 3kw solar power. Quite a price rise to the 5KW system.
Related
6/09/2023
building a deck and gas hot water

General Discussion

I want to build a decking to the drawn shape outlined in black. The problem is how close can I build to the gas hot water unit? Will I be able to build around it and be…

16/04/2024
Help me understand this Hot Water System

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

the sun master is the solar heating to "warm" the water in the tank the S26 is your hot water system which will heat the water (25 degrees?) so with both turned on you…

11/01/2024
Leaking Hot water

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi, I've got a brand new (2nd hand) Bosch Hydropower 16H tankless hot water heater. Since it was installed I have noticed it leaks a lot. I took the cover off and it looks…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum