Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Can you install air-con with existing heating ducts?

Page 1 of 1
We just purchased a house (approximately six years old) that has ducted heating (round vents).

Generally speaking, is it possible to re-use the existing ducts to add a refrigerated air conditioner, or do new ducts need to be installed in the roof to handle cooling?

I understand it might not be possible to answer this question without knowing more about the system, but that's all I've got to work with until settlement
Generally the size of ducts required for air conditioning is bigger than those for heating.

When we had our new house built we paid extra for larger ducts so we could have refrigerated air conditioning fitted later.
Related
17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum