Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Gas Log Fire or Ducted Heating?

Page 1 of 1
I was just wondering whether anyone could recommend one heat source over another. I am renovating a small house at the moment with an open plan kitchen and lounge. It has three bedrooms and a small hallways. As it is Edwardian our initial thoughts were to put in a gas heater inside the chimney (Rinnai Sapphire) but we are now thinking that perhaps we should get ducted heating as this won't just heat the lounge and kitchen but the bedrooms too. We are looking at $3000 for the Rinnai. Does anyone know how much ducted would be approximately and also which one would be the better one to go for. The house isn't huge and not the dream home so we don't want to be out of pocket too much but we do want a decent system that will be economical, environmental and safe for asthmatics etc.

Any recommendations? Thanks so much.
not sure how much ducted heating would be but if it's only the living area you want to heat and it is on the small side I'd go for the gas log fire. we had one in our old home (2 bedroom edwardian cottage type place) and it heated the living area beautifully. Even though we have ducted now, we hardly ever have it on in the bedrooms (don't like having it on while we are sleeping and don't feel the need during the day as don't spend much time in there) and I really miss the warmth of having one heating source.

HTH!
Cool thanks so much. I guess we hadn't thought of that but the house we are currently in has only heating in the lounge and the bedrooms are freezing but then again it doesn't have insullation. I guess we would want some heat in the bedrooms before we went to bed so would the gas heating be enough?
My friend has a 26 squarish house and it cost her about $5k to get ducted heating on, and that included zoning.....I think it would be more value for money.....If you are after something aesthetically pleasing have you considered an ethanol fireplace, they give out heat, dont require a flue and cost a fraction of the gas fireplaces....

When we were at tender stage of our house currently under construction, our builder was going to charge $10k for a gas log fire.....forget it...
No we hadn't considered the ethonol but will check that out. We thought if we did go for the ducted that we could still do the fireplace up with the mantle and unit inside just not use it that is all. It all depends on price I guess. Thanks so much.
Although I do like the thought at looking at the flames
We put a Jetmaster International Gas Convector Fire in recently. It cost us roughly $8,500 fully installed as ours is all bricked in. We also have ducted reverse cycle A/C as well. Ducted is good for heating the kids rooms before they go to bed.
Everything ducted blows air around which is pretty unhealthy becaue of all the dust flying around.
Hi Donuts,do you have zoned heating[you turn off bedrooms]
Hi Rod12,I am having both my house is a bit bigger,I will have zoned
then I can turn down/off rooms
Related
1/04/2024
How to repair old pine log fence/barrier?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi, I have an old fence/barrier made of treated pine logs bolted to plates and these are bolted to very large metal posts/girders. The plates and bolts are rusted through…

7/06/2023
Radiant or Convection Wood Fire

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

We are tossing up between a Jarrahdale radiant wood fire (the Pioneer) and a convection wood fire (Innovator or Countryman) but cannot decide on which type of wood fire is…

2/08/2023
Fire seperation qall

General Discussion

Need some advice. Living in a townhouse with one common wall, recently we have discovered that the fire separation wall is incomplete and on further investigation, support…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum