Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

options for glass insulation

Page 1 of 1
are there any options on how to get the same effect of double-glazed glass windows on existing windows? we have a lot of windows and we didn't go for double-glazing due to cost.. but with winter just around the corner, i am looking for alternatives other that heavy curtains..
TIA
You could try this mob

http://www.coolmax.com.au/ht/clear-comf ... lazing.php
If you want to DIY, seal sheets of perspex to the inside of the frame. The perspex doesn't have to be thick, but the seal must be perfect: the trapped volume of air must be properly trapped. If you want to optimise the acoustic insulation effect make the gap wider. In any case, the two layers must not touch ('cold bridge').
Obviously, make sure that draught gaps around the frames are dealt with. There is a down side to having a fully draught-less home; DYOR, Google, etc.
I find using escreen roller blinds on the inside of the reveals and thick roman blinds on the outside are a great alternative. The different layers slow down the cold and the heat coming through. I did some test with a digital thermomitor and found that the escreen alone reduces the temp of direct sun by around 15 degrees. With the roman blind down it will no doubt be more. Also since I had them installed the temp in the kitchen area goes down to 18degrees in the morning if the overnight temp is 10 degrees.
Louvered shutters are popular in Eurpoe.
melbourne architect
is right and it is the cheaper solution I have a noise problem so I went for heavier acrylic and wider gap with a rubber seal to suppress flanking noise but works just the same for extreme changes in temperature saving up to 70% heat loss through condensation. Actually condensation is good because it exposes where the heat loss occurs and give you a chance to fix it. Well at least this what I have done and at a fraction of the cost of magnetite or stop noise.
http://www.clearcomfort.com.au/
cool ideas.. I am also thinking of doing that upon completion of my new home.. thx guys for the ideas
double glazing is just too much to pay for
Ahh, double glazing - I love it. We went with PVC double glaze units & its worth EVERY cent. I did lots of research and double glazing works best at a certain spacing between the glass panes. From memory 20mm. Europe & UK are way in front of us for double glazing & I cannot believe builders are still not using it as standard. Achieving a 5 Star rating by throwing in a couple more batts in the walls IMO does nothing when the windows are single glazed 3mm glass. Most energy loss/gain is through windows.
[quote="cuppyccake"]cool ideas.. I am also thinking of doing that upon completion of my new home.. thx guys for the ideas
double glazing is just too much to pay for
/quote]

Why not get an idea how much it would be before you finish (unless of course the glass is in). We are going for double glazing in our extension/renovation, yes it is expensive and I'm not conviced it will pay for itself in reduced heating costs. BUT a comfortable home is what we want. Everyone is willing to turn up the ac in summer and the heater in winter, but less inclined to spend the money on a blanket for the house. I guess we will be ahead if energy costs go the way the hysterical TT type shows tell us they will. The other consideration is that we will be in our home for life... we love where we live and so the investment is sound
We just fully renovated our house. We put in timber double-glazed windows, new wall and roof insulation and the difference is remarkable. Previously over-night our house temperature would drop to 13-14 degrees, now it is 16-17 degrees. This makes a huge difference in the warm-up time in the morning, plus the heater just doesn't seem to be on that much in the evening. When we looked at costs we took in to account that the backyard facing windows don't need curtains, that's a massive saving and helped balance out the extra costs for double-glazing.

Cheers,
Chris.
Related
19/05/2023
Cladding Options -- Pros, Cons

General Discussion

Standard uninsulated double brick has an R value of around 0.7. An insulated standard 90mm stud timber frame can have an R value of around 2.7. Even if you insulate a…

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

16/07/2023
Options for Retaining Wall Sloping Hill

Landscape & Garden Design

Howdy all. I am looking for feedback on what people would do to maximise and make an area as flat as possible. First, out the front of the house is a sloping hill, pretty…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum