Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Ducted vs split aircond

Page 1 of 1
Hi can anyone give some suggestions on the pro and con of ducted & individual split system air cond. Thanks, much appreciated!
Hi
While I have installed both in my house, it really depends what you want to do. if you only require heating/cooling in one room eg(small flat, ) well this may be ideal. If you have an average 3 brm house, ducted heating is the best option overall.
Inverters are better than reverse cycle air conditioners as they are more cost efficient. Just to give you an idea of what size to buy, I have a 7.1kw cooling and 8.1kw heating LG Inverter Artcool unit. This does a lounge/dining/kitchen area, we have several floor to ceiling windows with roman blinds on them and insulation in walls and standard ceiling height. Cost to purchase including installation $2840 (should be on an outside wall or costs more. It can cool the room in summer within 1/2 an hour to a comfortable temperature, but struggles on 40 degree days, unless all blinds, windows and doors are shut.
It heats up the area within 10 minutes and is great for quick heat, but not for all day use and we use the ducted heating for this.

Ducted heating is the number one choice and I would not hesitate in recommending this especially in Melbournes' colder winters. While it is expensive to install, don't skimp on the unit and buy the most energy efficient unit you can afford, the more stars the better.
kentucky
...Inverters are better than reverse cycle air conditioners as they are more cost efficient...

Huh...?

R/C just means it will heat as well as cool... Inverters are a way of varying the output of the compressor compared to the good old days of either on or off...

Inverter
Inverters are technically more efficient but only so if they are running continuously.

Our house is so energy efficient that required output from the inverter falls to a point that it needs to shut off (it turns into a non-inverter) to prevent the house overheating.
Perhaps the OP was comparing between a ducted system vs multiple single splits throughout the home?

I've had this same predicament as well.....but in the end decided to go for an 8 outlet ducted RC system. I figured that it would just be too ridiculous to have so many compressors sitting along the side of my house
but the benefit of going this way is that you can control each room temperature and settings separately
location?? house size? single level? new house? insulation?
dadansue
we are in perth. Living area is around 180 sqm, 3 bedrooms, single level, new house, insulated.
which would be more efficient, having a ducted system or multiple wall split?
thanks!
A house like yours could adequately be done with a 15kw single phase ducted syste, with zoning. In QLD that would cost about $10,000-$12,000

Other wise split systems will be a bit cheaper to run, if you are able to isloate off rooms maybe costing about $8,000-$10,000

If you are likely to want to heat/cool the entire home as a usual thing I would go the ducted. The only draw back with ducted is if you only want to cool one room, it will cost more to operate.
Related
10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum