Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Cold Basement!

Page 1 of 1
Our basement is the coolest part of the house. In winter, it becomes extremely cold.

We have ducted heating in our home and in our basement, which is the only part of the house which doesn't heat up so easily.

Can someone please suggest a solution?

Cheers, Michael
We're also experiencing similar problems.

I am starting to finish off part of my basement and need to figure out a way to heat it. Can I add in another take-off from my existing ducts or is there a better way to heat the basement? I don't want to affect the rest of the house because we already have one room that doesn't seem to get enough heat.

Daniel
Can you insulate the walls?

Maybe carpet the floors, too.

Curtains over the windows will keep some heat in too.

Good luck to both of you
If your furnace is newer than 20 years old, the building code (Canada) calls for a combustion air duct to be brought into your basement to supply fresh air for the furnace during the combustion cycle. Although this fresh air is required only when the furnace is in it's combustion phase, the vent is wide open 24/7.

As the duct may be between 5"-8"in diameter, it's like having a window open in your basement
24 hours per day,7days per week. By having a Hoyme motorized air control(damper) installed, you can stop this cold air from spilling out onto your basement floor 24/7 and only have this fresh air coming in when it is required for combustion.

Having the Hoyme damper installed is probably the most cost effective way to solve your cold basement problems, and save up to 20% on your heating fuel costs at the same time.

These dampers are made in Canada and distributed around the world. For more information go to http://www.calgaryhomecomfort.ca.
Where are you from? I don't know anyone who has got a basement. Are you from America?

If so this Aussie and NZ forum probably isn't the best source of ideas for basements.
Hi Bella,

Actually, my split-level home is based in Templestowe, Melbourne which consists of a basement - the type that neighbours the garage.

It's very cold down there, and ducted heating doesn't seem to warm it up as nicely as the rest of the house.

Although given the season, it's a great place to spend a good portion of the summer in as it stays nice and cool throughout.
Wow that sounds pretty neat! So is it underground?

I'd probably be to scared to have a house with a basement. I'd always be wondering if anyone was buried down there.

Oh that's a good topic. Hounted houses!!
Well, it's safe to say the majority of it is underground. One side of the basement connecting to the garage is level with the driveway out front.

It's well lit for a basement. There are windows placed in a few places to allow for some good natural light - not your typical 'horror story' basement scenario.

Sorry Bella, no ghost story for you.
Hey homeone... have you been able to find a heating solution for your basement?

Have you considered floor heating?

We retail a range of floor heating products which are suitable for basements which are hard to heat (we find this to be common in the North American market).

There are floor heating options available for several floor finishes:

- Under rug floor heating suitable for hard floors which are not being repalced (the floor heater is layed under a loose lay rug)
- Under fitted carpet floor heating which is layed between the carpet underlay and carpet
- Under tile floor heating which is layed on the slab directly beneath the tile finish (before tiles are layed)

The floor heating mats not only warm the floor. As the floor warms up, the heat radiates into the room. A 20sqm room would require 1.5kW which will cost around 6c per hour (12ckWh & duty cycling 1/3 of every hour).

More info available on www.coldbuster.com.au
Related
27/12/2023
‘Basement’ waterproofing bare bricks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

to do it properly you need to dig out the garden and waterproof the outside of the wall. There are some products you can put on the face of the bricks but the water is…

3/11/2023
How hot/cold does a sunroom get?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Depends how much direct sun it gets. Is there any shading (eaves or trees)? If the sun hits a window directly it doesn't matter too much if it's double or single…

21/01/2024
A cold joint in concrete

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi guys, I want to butt a concrete vegetable garden bed against a concrete build up of a carport. It will be a 700mm high wall about 120mm thick and I will run a 12mm rio…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum