Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Ceiling fans and downlights

Page 1 of 1
Hi can anyone help me out with the minimum distance required to avoid strobing or flickering from a celing fan?

We have downlights already installed and now want to put in ceiling fans.

What is minimum distance the edge of the blade needs to be from the edge of the downlight to avoid the strobing (flickering) effect?

For instance - we have 2 downlights in the bedroom and they are approx 1950mm apart. The fan is 1300mm is that enough distance?

also is there any rules about a fan being off centre? We have a bedroom with a bunk on one wall - I do not want to put the fan anywhere near the bunk and so the centre of the room is out. Is is OK to put it off centre?

Thanks for your help (also posted in the Lighting forum)
KerrieJ
What is minimum distance the edge of the blade needs to be from the edge of the downlight to avoid the strobing (flickering) effect?

also is there any rules about a fan being off centre?

I can't give you a figure but it will depend on the beam angle of your downlight which can vary and how long the extension rod is on your fan. May you can find a light shop and wave an object in front of a fitting to see when it causes obstruction.

There is nothing 'wrong' about a fan being off centre. If you wish to centre it, the chippie may need to put additional timber between the rafters for the fitting to hang from. Do this before the gyprock goes on to make it easier for the sparkie to install.

There is an argument that off centre works better because it uses the walls as an airflow channel that provides a smoother circulation of air around the room.
Related
29/07/2023
ceiling dampness: determining source and fix

General Discussion

What heating/cooling are you using.

14/03/2024
Loud popping ceiling, creaking and vibration

General Discussion

Ain't that the truth! We used to have a tile roof and had it replaced with colorbond and suddenly everything throughout the entire house sounds louder!

17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum