Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Refrigerated/Evaporative and ceramic/procelain

Page 1 of 1
I am in the process of building a double storey home. Its a 35 sq home and am confused in following areas among various options available.

Cooling and heating
- My builder is giving me evaporative cooling to first floor with gas ducting throughout the house.
- I also have an option to go gas ducted heating with brivis add on cooling for about 11k(which just seems too much.
Would it be better to go evaporative now, save up and add splits if needed or evaporative is just not worth.

Flooring
Confused if 450X450 matt finish tiles would be better than 300X600 high gloss porcelain..
I have lived in a house with porcelain before and felt keeping them clean becomes challenging considering even dried water droplets shine pretty bright
- ceramic is saving me about 3.5K as well.

Would appreciate peoples thoughts with these
Why not to go with engineered timber, you pay less and get much warmer and softer floor.
Personally would never live in a house with tiled floor (unless it is in a tropical climate) as I enjoy walking around barefooted.
I have seen a few installations and most of them tend to have a cracky sound of wood planks rubbing each other which we don't prefer.

Hence looking to go tiles and are looking for something thats more durable and works well with water spills.
the sound you mention is poor installation. you shouldnt expect that to carry over to yours, if it does, it would be a defect and beed to be rectified.

11j for refrigerated cooling on a 35sq home? that's cheap. In my opinion refrigerated > evaporative. Some people disagree. Something to keep in mind though, evaporative requires windows to be open for it to be effective and on stinking hot days it wont do anything except increase the humidity in your home. Id be looking to get bnoth floors cooled with refrigerated cooling.

as to tiles, that a personal prefernce. But surely you have mor ethan just ceramic 450 square matte and 300-600 porecialn gloss as options? Or are you going with one of these quick preselected pallette options? If so, they should still give you an opportunity to customise some minor aspect like flooring if the two options available arent suitable
Related
11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

6/05/2023
Decks and Firepits

Building A New House

Hi there, We've just build a new hardwood (Greybox) deck and am wondering whether firepit protective mats/surfaces are sufficient? I'm not sure that they're heat…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum