Join Login
Building ForumWhat's New

Karndean looselay vinyl planks - any good?

Page 3 of 5
Mine are bout $73 per/m installed. Includes feather finish. I'm getting Van Gogh Walnut
What's feather finish?
The screed stuff they prep slab with to make it completely flat
Wish I'd known about that! I'm pretty sure they laid ours straight on the slab. It looks flat except for one spot. Though can only see it in certain light.

Lesson learnt
Yeah we didn't get the screed with current house as back then it was an upgrade and they check slab said we didn't need it. Now in sunlight we can see waves on ground. Not noticeable though only from garage entry if house is sunny
I'm hoping once our furniture goes in it won't be very noticeable, think the empty space makes it easy to see!
Yeah the space I can see is big long empty space so prob why can notice it
Actually the feather finish is to help the glue or something whereas leveling compound is the stuff that makes it level. Some people don't need the leveling compound but the feather finish is recommended. This is what I've heard anyway as I was told leveling compound would be an additional charge on top of feather.

HD
( delete)
LeanneR
Mine are bout $73 per/m installed. Includes feather finish. I'm getting Van Gogh Walnut

Wow! Are you in Melb? That's a smashing price!

HD
Interesting. We were told feather finish is a screed to make floor flat. My quote says includes screed and they spoke of making floor flat so that's what I'm getting.

http://www.ardexaustralia.com/products/repair-mortars/ardex-feather-finish

I'm in WA. Very happy with the price, another company quoted $3k more (weird since it owns cheaper quote company haha)
Your lucky fmac if you can only feel it in one spot your slab can't be too bad.. Please keep me posted what you think when you move in.
SB ill let you know how we go. I have heard there have been some issues with it so well have to see!
Hey Leanne we had what they call feather finish this time, wish I'd known what we had last time was a level screed, HUGE DIFFERENCE in how the finished floor feels under foot. I had no idea our slab was so uneven in every room - in some spots even lumpy - only now that the planks are down has it become so obvious . If you're given the option and you're a bit concerned about the slab please don't skimp on getting this done. It can be a bit pricey but so worth it.
The link above says 'ARDEX Feather Finishâ„¢ is formulated to efficiently smooth surfaces by filling imperfectionsm

Will speak to flooring people but he kept talking about floor being flat etc so maybe it's screed and feather finish isn't even what he is talking bout haha. It does say screed on my card
l have no issues with my floor(level/rough)finish,l knew before slab was poured
that l was having vinyl planks,builder made sure tradies were careful not to
chip concrete.lmo you need to make sure installers have laid planks before.
I'm thinking the feather finish might help with slight imperfections and nicks but the leveling compound is what you need if your slab is uneven, which makes sense. The feather us probably a thin coat to smooth it out but not actually make the slab completely flat.

HD
pattycake4
l have no issues with my floor(level/rough)finish,l knew before slab was poured
that l was having vinyl planks,builder made sure tradies were careful not to
chip concrete.lmo you need to make sure installers have laid planks before.

We knew about planks prior to building and we had also booked an experienced installer way in advance but things don't always go according to plan I'm afraid
Our builders are aware of vinyl too as we have notes to adjust screed in wet areas for smooth transition. Slab isn't 100% flat though going by slight puddles as rain dries up
If you have documentation to back your case,then builder should rectify.
Related
6/10/2023
installing vinyl planks underlay

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi l plan to install a self adhesive vinyl plank floor. l first need to attach masonite boards underlay to by plywood subfloor of my house. What size nails and how many…

24/10/2023
Need advice - vinyl over kitchen tiles

General Discussion

Levelling compound Ardit is the best but buy a bag of sand and make sand dam to protect your wood floor

You are here
Building ForumWhat's New
Home
Pros
Forum