Join Login
Building ForumWhat's New

Use of Structural Insulated Panels

Page 5 of 7
We have just submitted our plans to the council for a Colorbond steel clad, SIPs built house. We will be going owner builder as we couldnt find a builder that wishes to take on the project as we foresee it. That is fine with us. We intend using internal walls of MgO/polyurethane sitting within a basic 135m2 Colorbond shed by Widespan Shed.
Further details on the Home One thread;
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=56083
guys just to clarify, the bondor insulliving system does indeed cover 2 storey residential. their panels incorporate a structural post system incorporated in the panels themselves to allow a flooring structure the be braced off of this. also their internal walls can also act as load bearing walls - usually 140mm thick as an interior though..... their building system is very energy efficient starting at a min of 6 star - anywhere in aus, if you build to their system and the capability of incorporating drop ceilings in their insulwall panels boost that even more! I believe that their internal walls have an energy r value of about 2.8 by themselves so u can imagine that this would boost the star rating by miles in comparison with a standard stud wall!! i have not heard of a system as good as this one...
Hi

Thank you for your very informative advice. You mention below that you use US suppliers for SIPS - Can you provide details of the US suppliers that you have dealt with and the arrangements for shipping to Australia.

Regards
Leif Sydney

builda
That 10% premium is pretty standard additional cost if using the WA manufactured panels as they are very expensive. This whole SIPS sector of the building industry is undergoing rapid change and there are now very reliable suppliers from the US who we are able to import with and more cost effective (and I believe higher quality) than what anyone is producing in Australia.

While I take the earlier point that the additional costs are the 'novelty factor', to be fair the cost of these locally made panels are exhorbitant. Also, what the novelty factor really means is that the early adopters to SIPS (ie: the home owners paying for it) are effectively paying for everyones learning curves as there is a lot to learn about the design, engineering, cartage, installation, erection and fitting off a SIPS house and these learning curves apply to all the trades involved - not just the builder and the erection crew!

I have also recently been introduced to a polyurethane foam panel with OSB both sides that is currently undergoing testing and this panel is achieving the highest energy rating of any SIPS in Europe. THe point here is that this whole sector is very fluid and under constant change but I personally believe that SIPS building is here to stay and will only get bigger as it becomes more cost effective.
think_wise
our house will also use some Hebal in the design on an area that is cut into the ground. I am guessing its due to the better water resistance.

Hebel water resistant? I don't think so, this will require considerable waterproofing from the 'positive' side and the 'negative' side.
Positive and negative sides relate to the side retaining(inside and outside)
If I am incorrect please explain how you intent to waterproof the structure and I will be very happy.
Hello I am planning on building my home as an owner builder in Melbourne and am looking to build with Structural Insulated Panels. Does anyone know of any draftsmen or companies who have already had experience with this material (designing/building) with good results and that are reliable? Thanks for your help!
Just finished two storey addition to existing house, 200sq mtrs of extra living space from Bondor Insulwal and solarspan. Very happy with build however, a bit sus on trusting internal jointing over just cladding the whole thing in gyprock. Does anyone have any experience with the longevity of using standard procedures. I don't really want to waste my time when the plaster starts falling out in 10yrs.
Hi all, i'm Anthony and i work for ozone panel Australia. We manufacture and supply SIPS. our panels are made comprising a OSB skin with a Polyiso core. At ozone we offer Design, Supply, Install and supervision/training of our products.
You can visit the website www.ozonepanel.com.au which has all of our technical info and our code mark approval.
Any inquiries can be emailed directly to me at anthony@ozonepanel.com
G'day guys, newby here!
I was attracted to this site as my wife and I are looking to embark on the OB journey again - possibly using SIPs. What i've read so far has been very helpful! BTW, we are in Queensland
Cheers, KBear
Hi Guys,

Am I missing the elephant in the room??

We are from Victoria and we are looking at using SIP's to build out in St Andrews. What I cant seem to find is what BAL rating any of the panels people are talking about have. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Shaun
BAL rating ??
Is that like U-value ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAL = Bushfire Attack Level for bushfire prone areas.
See here for more info http://www.balreport.com.au/
@ latrotech, I'd contact the company whose products you are thinking of using to get their spec sheets which should have this on.

Stewie
No a BAL is a "bushfire attack level" see http://www.balreport.com.au .

In Victoria all construction now needs to at-least comply with BAL19 .

Just another government knee jerk reaction.

Cheers
Shaun

## sorry didnt see the previous post ##

I have contacted them and this is the reply I got.

Good morning Shaun,

Did you have a specific project in mind, are you a builder or designer?

Regards,

Gavin George

Sales Consultant - Bondor
329a St.Albans Rd Sunshine VIC 3020
As far as BAL ratings are concerned, not all homes have to meet BAL-19 each zone has a different BAL rating.
As an example to reach BAL-40 our Ozone Panels need a 30min burn time cladding, many cement sheet based claddings and some timber claddings meet this requirement.
Hi,

I have attached a link for anyone who may care of the bushfire zones. http://services.land.vic.gov.au/maps/bushfire.jsp

As for the previous post, I should have clarified. In most areas that people will consider building with SIP's you would be required to meet at east BAL19.

And yes all properties, not areas require a bushfire assessment and will have independent BAL ratings.

In the interest of being fair I will also post the follow up email I received from Gavin George.

Shaun good morning,

We currently have BAL ratings up to BAL 19. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gavin George
Sales Consultant - Bondor

I think I will run with the ICF option, not as convenient as the SIP but can get the fire rating rather easily.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Cheers Shaun
Hi all.

New guys, and perhaps a little late to the party.
We're wanting to build 3 x 2 storey townhouses using Bondor in Eltham, Vic.
Originally I looked at concrete tilt-panels (20+ years experience as a concretor) until we came across a show on TV featuring steel SIPs in QLD (I think).
We were a little skeptical about "coolroom" houses- but once we saw the finished products, we were sold.

This will be our first owner-builder job, but I'm not entirely green to construction and dealing with planning departments.
I am expecting that dealing with Nillumbik Shire with a new-ish construction method will be an "experience".

Anyone got an SIP build going in Nillumbik? Would like to pick an experienced brain

Dave
D & J , have you seen this thread
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=69535

Stewie
Anyone had experience with SIPS in Perth??
Looking at building single story 3x2 Rockingham area.
Found Bondor, Owner builder systems, sips industries. All with different Facing metal, concrete fibre, OSB.
seems easier with at least part finished panels rather than cladding both sides. HHmmmm keep looking.
If I could owner build I'd use SIPs industries but mainly because they were recommended by the supplier of our OSB SIPs for our UK self build.

Hi all!

Did anybody end up finishing a build using Insulwall by Bondor? Thinking of using them would love some feedback!
jemmalee if you search for keywords you will find your answer
You need to weigh up costs, engineering, compliance, maintenance & then Resell
most people prefer conventional building techniques & materials.
Related
26/01/2024
Precast Insulated Walls vs ICF

Building A New House

Good questions but the best answer will be obtained by visiting (ie: interviewing) a couple of house designers and/or builders and ask them. You may find it challenging to…

4/08/2023
Floor Joist direction given by Structural Engineering

Owner Builder Forum

Assuming you've modelled the TB8, TB10, TB12, TB2 & J1 joists/LVLs there, it appears as per drawing to me. There maybe should be an additional J1 between TB10 and T12 if…

You are here
Building ForumWhat's New
Home
Pros
Forum