Join Login
Building ForumWhat's New

European Shower - starting to be popular in Perth

Page 1 of 2
Seems to be a few homes been built in WA with these types of showers now in WA.
No Hob
No shower screen
keeps the wife happy as less cleaning

And the shower channel when putting in one of thes a must, the one against the wall, what do others think.

WA
Forgot to post the Channel link.

www.veitchstainless.com.au/.../Shower_c ... el_PDS.pdf

or

www.veitchstainless.com.au
Oh, like a hotel or gym shower? They look great but how do you go about keeping the channel clean? I would worry that certain corners or sides would get stagnant.

DP is a tile showroom manager so he'd lurrrrve it since he'd get to be surrounded by tiles, haha.

Less chance of showerscreen breakage, more privacy, less visible soapscum etc, we splash water all over the floor anyway so it wouldn't matter about it being one level or having no shower curtain (shower curtains are manky anyway!). Mmmmm, I like

The only thing I'd worry about is lighting... do you need a separate light to light up the shower area (since a wall obviously isn't clear/opaque like a glass shower screen)
lori_lee69
The only thing I'd worry about is lighting... do you need a separate light to light up the shower area (since a wall obviously isn't clear/opaque like a glass shower screen)

In our electrical plans we put a light directly over the gap where you walk into the shower so it shines into both the shower and the main part of the room.

Typically does the wall go all the way to the ceiling?
Hi Fu Manchu,

A great picture of the shower regarding this discussion. However many variations such as double shower heads (his & hers)

Cyberman the wall on our plans will go all the way to the ceiling, however you could perhaps opt for an opening at the top or a highlight window at the top, however our objetive is to reduce the cleaning and a wall to the ceiling would achive this for us. as for lighting you could face the shower entrance towards the bathroom window, which we have opted for a highlight here and as ling as the light is flush with the ceiling (not a surface mount) or an IP65 rating you can install a light within the shower recess, we are opting for flush light fittings such as low voltage downlights. if you look at the above picture a highlight window has been installed as you can see the light hitting the wall of the shower.

As for cleaning highly recommend the channel made from stainless steel and that the one which the grate top can be removed for cleaning.

IMO a great way to a shower built.
Less cleaning
Less silicon
looks great (my opinion and based on taste/design)

Who thought of the shower hob and shower curtain.... discusting and an eyesore IMO
We're having this in our ensuite and I'm very excited, the main reason behind our decision was;

1. the cleaning I hate glass screens with water marks
2. I think that for the water on the floor of you shower would get away more efficiently with this grate than the round 1 in the middle of the shower floor (less chance water will spill out IYKWIM)
3. I think the look a bit resort style

Our tiler was VERY happy about it, he said less work for him, with cutting ect

Except we're having a smart tile instead of grate
Hi Bech,
Totally agree with your comments.

Has the KISS statement written all over it.

If installing this style of shower I would recommend the grate or the smart tile (smart tile as you mention), I just prefered the ease of cleaing the grate and that it's stailess steel and don't mingd the industrial look.
I had seen one of these showers in a display home in my area, with your common round drain in the shower where you would stand, a disaster wating to happen as this would create the water to build up, standing on it and the build up of water (more input than output).

If installing one of these you would need a reflux valve installed to the waste pipe in the plumbing about $300 but needs to be done at the start or with a major bathroom reno.

Cheers,

WA
We have one of these showers in our ensuite. We just have the ordinary round shower grate but if we were building now I'd love to have one of those long drain type grates. I wasn't even aware they existed for home showers before. Our tiler made sure the base below the tiles slopes down towards the round drain. He put just the tiles within the shower area on the diagonal as he said this made it far easier to make sure you got a steady even slope to the drain as well. We've been in since last July and find the shower gets no more mucky than a standard tiled shower with hob. However we did put a shower curtain across the opening. this can easily be removed if we want . On rare occasions we have noticed a tiny bit of splashing onto the floor mat. Not really enough to make much of a mess though hubby prefers it to be there. Ours is also double length. This is the biggest "must do" for a screenless shower. have it a longer length and choose your shower head carefully. I wanted a hobless shower and larger than standard shower recess in case of need later for medical reasons. I love ours. The walls on ours go up to about 2 m with an open area above. In our shower because the shower is longer than a normal shower the drain is not where you would normally stand so you don't tel to be blocking the drain with your feet.

Think about getting one of these put in too!

No shelf hanging out into your space.

Our bathrooms should be tiled in the next couple weeks so, check my thread and watch as they appear.
This is the type of shower we have planned for our ensuite a walk in style with two showerheads. I saw one in an open house recently and they had that long drain across the opening ... it looked fantastic. My dream shower, no glass! I did wonder about cleaning the long drain, but haven't had a chance to look into that yet.
These shower channels are a must for any tiles 300x300 or greater. It's impossible for the tilers to get the required fall otherwise.

Nice showers though!
I've used thos style of showers when travelling and absolutely love them. Definately looking into doing one for the ensuite.

They seem to take up more space than the usual style though...
In Europe they are now doing more and more of that type of bathroom with tadelakt or marmorino rather than tiles. It has a very nice style that really change of everyone's house.
Well I do like to be different....

We will have a walk-in shower in both the ensuite (1.6m x 1.0m) and the bathroom (1.6m x 0.9m). However I hate the feeling of being enclosed with the all tile showers and also love showering in natural light. So we are having a fixed glass pane for the side wall for our ensuite and for the side and one end of the bathroom shower.

Yes, I know, lots of glass to keep clean, but better than feeling claustrophobic.

Ruth
I like it better too, I've done the same in my last bathroom and it looks less like a gym's shower and give the feeling that the room is bigger and lighter.
BecH

Except we're having a smart tile instead of grate

What's a smart tile?
Quote:
What's a smart tile?

See here...
http://www.iplex.com.au/iplex.php?page= ... 18&sec=119

Stewie
That's exactly the sort of shower I wanted. I've got the next best thing with just a sheet of glass.
Next time the European shower will be a non negotiable must have. Anything that cuts the housework must be good.
That Smart Tile is AWESOME
Related
27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

22/06/2023
Joists under shower tray

General Discussion

Hi All, about to commence a bathroom renovation and need some advice on subfloor works. Current subfloor is hardwood T&G floorboards on 90x45 joists, but intention is to…

You are here
Building ForumWhat's New
Home
Pros
Forum