Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Steps to front door

Page 1 of 1
Hi
I need to make some steps to the front door thinking of Corten risers with stabilised crushed concert for the steps
The run length is 5000 and the height 1300
Ive calculated 5steps riser 250mm step 1000 preferred or 6 steps 210mm riser and 830 step
Would these be comfortable /legal
Any suggestion comments welcomed

Nick

Max step risers are 190mm I understand this is landscaping but I would work with a max 190mm step as they are comfortable.
I must say sometimes long treads are awkward especially when you find you are taking lunges to the next riser.

Post some update pucs
Thanks for the reply
What about 6 steps(7rises) rise 183mm step 830mm is there an optimum step would prefer longer step
Should the step (run/going) be able to accomodate 1 or 2 footfalls (1foot on the step other foot on next step or both feet on step then
climb to next step)
Am I making this too complex???
Nickf
Thanks for the reply
What about 6 steps(7rises) rise 183mm step 830mm is there an optimum step would prefer longer step
Should the step (run/going) be able to accomodate 1 or 2 footfalls (1foot on the step other foot on next step or both feet on step then
climb to next step)

I've no clue how I'm going to achieve this but this is how it's designed for my about to be built house. Mixed shaped risers.

you should never mix the riser height and try your best to keep all your risers to be of the same height. As otherwise, risks of slip and fall will be higher, as the brain can't fast switch/accommodate to changing risers when you are quickly walk/running down.

182-190 mm is the perfect riser height, 200 mm is already quite steep.
I thought BCA mandated consistent step height. Least it showed up on my recent building and.pest report. Possible public liability issue.
BCA says you have 5mm tolerance between step heights only, all measurements in heights should be the same across the whole staircase.

chennaiite
Nickf
Thanks for the reply
climb to next step)

I've no clue how I'm going to achieve this but this is how it's designed for my about to be built house. Mixed shaped risers.

chennaiite
I think what you meant to say was different size goings.
In modern landscaping it's common to mix a couple of steps with big landings of different sizes. It helps break up the look of the hardscaping.
You will find that the risers will be the same height.
The pictures below are a job I did a few weeks back. All the risers including the ones up to the front entrance are the same height, but once you are of the actual flight of stairs and into the hardscaping the landing sizes change. Looks like you even have some negative details on the risers which always look good.

Related
22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

31/01/2024
Front door issues

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

AS2047 Section 6 Page 31 speaks to Construction/Tolerances of Windows and external glazed doors in buildings Check also New South Wales Guide to Standards and Tolerances,…

26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum