Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

How to raise lawn 200-300mm ??

Page 1 of 1
I have finished my house build and now turning attention to the backyard. There is around a 60m2 area where I would like to have grass, however need to raise the level by around 200 -300mm. The area previously had a swimming pool, which was filled in 1.5 years ago. The soil test that was done indicates to 2.7 m down "sand with gravel, medium dense, dark grey pale grey glass,masonry concrete/rubble, clayey pockets, root material". It is mud with a few puddles at the moment as it has been raining heavily the last couple of days

I would like it to be be level with the alfresco, which will be paved (i got the concreter to extend it when he was doing the driveway and path around the side)

You cant really see on the photo, but the ground at the fence is the same level as the alfresco (lines in red), so I want to raise everything in the middle

What would be the best way to raise the level? Should I just use topsoil or a "soil mix" for the whole lot, or do a layer of crushed rock first??

Thanks

brokenstick
I have finished my house build and now turning attention to the backyard. There is around a 60m2 area where I would like to have grass, however need to raise the level by around 200 -300mm. The area previously had a swimming pool, which was filled in 1.5 years ago. The soil test that was done indicates to 2.7 m down "sand with gravel, medium dense, dark grey pale grey glass,masonry concrete/rubble, clayey pockets, root material". It is mud with a few puddles at the moment as it has been raining heavily the last couple of days

I would like it to be be level with the alfresco, which will be paved (i got the concreter to extend it when he was doing the driveway and path around the side)

You cant really see on the photo, but the ground at the fence is the same level as the alfresco (lines in red), so I want to raise everything in the middle

What would be the best way to raise the level? Should I just use topsoil or a "soil mix" for the whole lot, or do a layer of crushed rock first??

Thanks

We are just at the end of our landscaping with the hardest bit to do stairs, paving & deck. We had to raise our before doing the grass & I wanted the same as you to have it level with the alfresco area so it isn’t a trip hazard.

You only need 1-2inchs of good quality lawn soil the rest under it can be fill. If you can’t move the fill around the create the extra height you need there are People out there that are always trying to get rid of their fill for free so check around your area if you are in a new estate or gumtree.

This is ours before

This is after

As you can see the big step up to the alfresco area that we are about to do with the pavers. But managed to have it level with the grass.

Thanks, your garden looks great!
yes I think l will try and get some fill from a pool dig or similar and then some topsoil for the top. Unfortunately I don't thin I can get a bobcat or trailer to the back, so foresee many trips with a wheelbarrow in my future
brokenstick
Thanks, your garden looks great!
yes I think l will try and get some fill from a pool dig or similar and then some topsoil for the top. Unfortunately I don't thin I can get a bobcat or trailer to the back, so foresee many trips with a wheelbarrow in my future

We unfortunately made the mistake of doing the grass before the garden bed, which meant we could not use a bobcat on our new lawn. We also have a split level block that is street level at the front door but drops down by 5-6 meters to the backyard which is the photos I sent you is the backyard. This is were we are building the stairs. My husband did not want to wheelbarrow up & down that slope see below

So my very smart husband came up with a pulley system that he tied to the roll bar of the ute & the rope went down to the post of the fence downstairs. He used a metal bin from Bunnings to load it up with the dirt/gravel & once it was full he would untie a rope he had on the handle & slowly release the rope, Using gravity to take the load downstairs

He would walk down & turn the bin over to dump the dirt out & then walk back up the slope with the rope that he has tied around the handle. To bring the empty bin upstairs & do it over again. No wheelbarrow need.

What a great idea!

amilelka
What a great idea!

Yes everyone in our street was absolutely amazed & one Neigbour had a landscaper at their house when they saw my husbands invention. They come over to see how it worked & asked him if he was a engineer! But he is not just a very clever man that works smart!!!
Soph2
amilelka
What a great idea!

Yes everyone in our street was absolutely amazed & one Neigbour had a landscaper at their house when they saw my husbands invention. They come over to see how it worked because they were amazed. They asked him if he was a engineer! But he is not just a very clever man that works smart!!!
Update..... found an earthmover on gumtree who was happy to dump 7m3 of soil at the front for free - it was to my surprise really good stuff. Took me 3 hours yesterday to wheelbarrow it all to the back (fortunately I am a bit of a fitness nut so saw it it as good exercise!). Nothing as fancy as your pulley system unfortunately!

He just dumped another 7m3 load today so will repeat the treatment and then maybe hire a small plate compacter from bunnings to flatten it, and then order some "lawn mix" for the top layer
Related
30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

31/12/2023
crusher dust to level lawn

Landscape & Garden Design

the leaves that are now underground go yellow, the tips that poke through photosynthesise and have chlorophyll, same reason they grow rhubarb in the dark.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum