Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Invasive grass weed in Palmetto

Page 1 of 1
I've had this invasive grass weed and spraying with glyphosphate only kills the head and it comes back. With the heavy rain in Sydney in the past fortnight its really starting to spread so I've been digging deep to pull it out by the roots or stolons. The stolons are really waxy, tought and spread all over from a certain "ground zero" but I do what I can to find all the connected plants.

So what is this weed/grass called and is there a herbicide I can use that will kill it but not my Palmetto ?

I believe that's Kikuyu. If the runners are quite pale and underground that's going to be confirmed.

Um not much you can do other than chase the outbreaks and pull it out. Doable, just painful.

I don't think its Kikuyu as it never gets thick and tall (I've had KK before) - this stays low, so below the tops of and creeps between the Palmetto. The runners are quite consistently thin - around 3 mm whereas KK I've had has really thick runners and long leaves. Sounds like I may have to take a cutting to a nursery to have it identified ?
Managed to get decent chunk of it and it looks more like what is in this thread in the last picture:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=90631

Folks at the nursery said its Couch so they recommended a stronger glypho mix and then hit all the new growth and keep going until December which is supposed to kill the stolons as well. If not then may have to dig this 3-4 sqm patch and lay new lawn.
Ahhh. Yep. That's couch. I've got it too, but in my case I don't mind as it's on my nature strip and it's not smothering the buffalo. Lovely and soft amongst the buffalo.
Post back if you have luck with the herbicide

Related
24/02/2024
Weed problems

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, has anyone been ask to do the weeds in their property while in the middle of build? We are under the impression that they are in control of the site while they…

17/12/2023
Synthetic Grass DIY

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Please help me to answer this question , it will help me a lot as i can go to buy confidently with your recommendation: I want to put synthetic turf in our backyard for…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum