Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Pruning lilly pillies

Page 1 of 1
We planted a few lilly pilly plants about 2-3 years ago and they're now growing higher than the fence which is good. I want them to grow a bit wider and a bit taller so I thought I should prune them to encourage a bit of growth. Is this the right thing to do? Any advice on what to do/what not to do when pruning lilly pillies? I believe some plants stop growing taller if you prune the top and I don't want that to happen with these yet.

Here's a photo of what they look like now.

Hi Philled, your Lilly pillies look fantastic. What variety are they? Also, are you in VIC? I'm hoping to plant a hedge just like yours & was looking for some indication of variety & how fast they grow. Thanks!
Waneyinc
Hi Philled, your Lilly pillies look fantastic. What variety are they? Also, are you in VIC? I'm hoping to plant a hedge just like yours & was looking for some indication of variety & how fast they grow. Thanks!

Hi there, I'm afraid I don't know what variety they are. I'm in Sydney and we planted these approx 3 years ago.
Highly recommend the Syzygium Resilience - lilly pilly.
I have both this and the Aussie Southern variety and I have to say the resilience colour is the best of the two, and no psyllid issues compared to my Aussie Southern variety.
By the look of the OP pics, these look like my Aussie Southern variety.

Thanks philled & SteveMc! A person a couple of suburbs away from me in Melb has had a trouble-free experience with Backyard Bliss (Syzygium Paniculata) since 2011. Unpruned, their hedge is around 4m now.
I'm attracted to Backyard Bliss since it's reputedly a fast grower. Do you know anything good/bad about Backyard Bliss?
Only issue is; "Syzygium paniculatum can be susceptible to psyllids, the insects that can cause leaf pimpling.."
->https://www.gardeningwithangus.com.au/syzygium-paniculatum-lilly-pilly/
I still highly recommend resilience.
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum