Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Plant Selection for screening. Near pool, narrow bed

Page 1 of 1
Hi, hoping to get some advice here. I want to plant something to help screen a neighbours house. The garden bed is 9m by about 500mm, and is wedged between the boundary fence and the concrete slab that the pool is in. Pool is about 1m in from the garden bed. Given this is close to the boundary fence, whatever I plant will need to be deemed 'non-climbable'.

We're in the north-east of melbourne, in a fairly bushy area, so something native or that wouldn't look out of place amongst gum trees would be ideal. But the key requirements are:

3 - 5m high when mature
Fast growing
Non-invasive roots
Minimal leaf litter
Hardy

Here's a pic of the area. The creeper/climber has to go, as it's growing on a wire trellis which has foot holds, and is there-for non-compliant. I believe the trees are some form of dwarf lillypilly. They don't seem to have grown at all in the 12 months that we've been here, although we haven't given them any attention.

Have you thought of bamboo. There are quite a few varieties that don't spread. Like this -
bestspecials
Have you thought of bamboo. There are quite a few varieties that don't spread. Like this -

Yes, I've definitely thought of Bamboo. I'm getting some conflicting information. A few sites I've read (which seem to have some authority) suggest never planting bamboo near a pool. Even clumping bamboo has invasive roots that can spread past what you expect, and start attacking pipes. Another issue I've read about (but not too clear on) is the amount of leaf litter. Thirdly, I think bamboo will look a little odd in this area.

However Bamboo is currently the front-runner. I'm trying to find alternatives at the moment.
Definitely not bamboo, not because they r invasive but the leaf litter will be your nightmare.
Go with syzygium (lillypilly). They will go up to about 4-5 metres, may take quite a few years to get to that height.

How about citrus trees? They are evergreen, dense and don't have very invasive roots. Plus the blossoms smell great in spring and you can eat the fruit.

Related
23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

8/12/2023
Narrow block design with 2 car space

General Discussion

dimensions on your original plan are inconsistent and with accurate dimensions (including site plan, upstairs and down) i could make a proper scale drawing with furniture…

19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum