Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Crepe Myrtle advice

Page 1 of 1
I'm in Adelaide and have 2 Sioux Crepe Myrtles that have been in the ground for almost 2 years. They were advanced plants when planted but they haven't really filled out as I'd hoped. I was after a "standard" look akin to this -
https://www.houzz.com.au/photo/6612668- ... -francisco

What I currently have is -

Trouble is there's been zero new growth from the main trunk in the past 2 years so I assume there isn't going to be any. It makes the trees very sparse and nothing like the look I'm after.

I'm considering doing something dramatic to force growth at the height I'd like by lopping/topping the main trunk just above the lowest branch. I'll lose the tall slender look but I'm hoping the tree takes off from that point.

I know this type of pruning is called Crepe Murder but in their current form they are pretty underwhelming specimens anyway.

Any thoughts or advice?
kirk
I'm in Adelaide and have 2 Sioux Crepe Myrtles that have been in the ground for almost 2 years. They were advanced plants when planted but they haven't really filled out as I'd hoped. I was after a "standard" look akin to this -
https://www.houzz.com.au/photo/6612668- ... -francisco

What I currently have is -

Trouble is there's been zero new growth from the main trunk in the past 2 years so I assume there isn't going to be any. It makes the trees very sparse and nothing like the look I'm after.

I'm considering doing something dramatic to force growth at the height I'd like by lopping/topping the main trunk just above the lowest branch. I'll lose the tall slender look but I'm hoping the tree takes off from that point.

I know this type of pruning is called Crepe Murder but in their current form they are pretty underwhelming specimens anyway.

Any thoughts or advice?

I grow these for a living in my nursery. You should do a yearly prune taking off 1/3. You will get more growth and more flowers from new growth. You can also give a harder prune occasionally
Thanks. I'm going to go the hard prune route tomorrow and lop off half the main trunk so that I can reset and hopefully get some growth outward so it looks more like a "standard" rather than a stick with some branches.
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

9/05/2023
Retaining wall defects - Advice needed

General Discussion

Hi All, I engaged a tradie to install concrete retaining wall 600-800mm high over 32 meters in Victoria. Sleepers are 200*75*2000 mm installed over 17 steel posts. I…

19/05/2023
Finishing standards - advice needed

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Don't think they are designed for double brick. WA has a particular way of building and unfortunately that's the way a large amount of sills are finished.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum