Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

What is this - storm water drain?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Having recently completed a build, we are about to commence work on laying sandy loam fill and also Sir Walter buffalo turf in our back yard.

In considering drainage/grading our our turf, I believe I may need to do something with this (see pic below). Anyone know what this is? We have 6 of these things in our back yard.

I am guessing (purely guessing) they may be storm water drains for my backyard. I have asked our builder (Arden Homes), but they are yet to come back to me. If they are drains, what do I need to do with it to work effectively, i.e. grade the lawn towards it and fit a drain on it? Any help would be appreciated and also a picture of a finished product would be great too.

TIA.

if you have six of them they would be stormwater, check against your drawings for layout of stormwater drains to confirm. Yes grade your surface levels toward the drain, cut it and fit prefab plastic drain pit at the lowest point. Another way to tell would be to measure the diameter. Stormwater is 90mm ,sewer 100 although some stormwater is laid in 100mm.
building-expert
if you have six of them they would be stormwater, check against your drawings for layout of stormwater drains to confirm. Yes grade your surface levels toward the drain, cut it and fit prefab plastic drain pit at the lowest point. Another way to tell would be to measure the diameter. Stormwater is 90mm ,sewer 100 although some stormwater is laid in 100mm.

Thanks for that - I will now go ahead and buy appropriate storm water pits for the pipes. Appreciate your help!
I have two such risers which are inspection/ openings for the storm water pit in my back yard. You can level them with your finish surface of the lawn or as BE stated use as additional surface drains to your pit.
In my case it's pointless as the level in my backyard slopes further downhill. just pop the caps off and look down.

Jeeta23
Hi,

Having recently completed a build, we are about to commence work on laying sandy loam fill and also Sir Walter buffalo turf in our back yard.

In considering drainage/grading our our turf, I believe I may need to do something with this (see pic below). Anyone know what this is? We have 6 of these things in our back yard.

I am guessing (purely guessing) they may be storm water drains for my backyard. I have asked our builder (Arden Homes), but they are yet to come back to me. If they are drains, what do I need to do with it to work effectively, i.e. grade the lawn towards it and fit a drain on it? Any help would be appreciated and also a picture of a finished product would be great too.

TIA.

I’d be very interested in Arden’s response Jeeta, as we are talking to a landscaper now. Wonder what happens if they are where you want to do concrete?

Jeeta23
building-expert

Thanks for that - I will now go ahead and buy appropriate storm water pits for the pipes. Appreciate your help!

But isn’t the stormwater channeled to the legal point of discharge? Eg. Front curb drain?

Ezza78
Jeeta23
Hi,

TIA.

I’d be very interested in Arden’s response Jeeta, as we are talking to a landscaper now. Wonder what happens if they are where you want to do concrete?

Hi Ezza,

I spoke to Arden and my landscaper, they confirmed like the gentleman above, that these are storm water pits. I need to grade my landscaping to feed into these drains. Likewise any concreting will need to be graded/sloped slightly enough towards the drains.My landscaper will fir a pit on it too.

Arden advised me to not bury these drains (that was never my intention).
Ezza78
Jeeta23
building-expert

But isn’t the stormwater channeled to the legal point of discharge? Eg. Front curb drain?

Hi Ezza,

It may differ from my area to your (as your one was a KDR), I can confirm mine is connected to the underground storm water discharge for our estate.
Jeeta23
Ezza78
Jeeta23
[quote="building-expert"]if you have six of them they would be stormwater, check against your drawings for layout of stormwater drains to confirm. Yes grade your surface levels toward the drain, cut it and fit prefab plastic drain pit at the lowest point. Another way to tell would be to measure the diameter. Stormwater is 90mm ,sewer 100 although some stormwater is laid in 100mm.

Hi Ezza,

It may differ from my area to your (as your one was a KDR), I can confirm mine is connected to the underground storm water discharge for our estate.[/quote]

Thanks Jeeta, do it’s like the storm water drainage is set up, we just have to finish it with our landscaping. So we can direct water to the storm water drains? Thanks heaps

Ezza78
Jeeta23
Hi Ezza,

It may differ from my area to your (as your one was a KDR), I can confirm mine is connected to the underground storm water discharge for our estate.

Thanks Jeeta, do it’s like the storm water drainage is set up, we just have to finish it with our landscaping. So we can direct water to the storm water drains? Thanks heaps

No worries

Yes, essentially that what it is - a storm water drainage system for property. If it is done the right way, it will protect your slab from water issues too.
Related
26/11/2023
Storm water drainage

Building A New House

Hello I am developing 2 side by side units. Wish someone can help me on the following questions 1) Which stage should be the storm water pipe installed during the new…

17/01/2024
Storm water extension?

General Discussion

If you need to be able to access these then you may need to dig them out and cut them so you can add a socket and a riser to the required height. We normally add a…

7/04/2024
Storm water overflow pit, is this right?

Building A New House

Thanks for that, the PVC pipe is still about 40cm below ground level and it sticks out of the sand with no end cap or anything on it just open pipe, is this the finished…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum