Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Landscaping Costs

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We've finished building the Dream home & had the front landscaping organised through the developer's contractor...now it's time for the backyard! Originally I had planned on doing most of it myself with friends/family however all of our schedules are hectic and we don't have the time.

So...it looks like I'll be hiring a landscaper to do this for us. My questions for those on the forums that have done the same is roughly what you've paid to have this done.

We are looking to do the following:-

1) scrape of plot & top up with soil where required
2) laying of turf
3) planter boxes with low maintenance plants & a feature tree or two
4) side rock path with paved walk way & planter boxes with similar plants & trees to rest of yard

Here are some photos of the block...as you'll see, it's a blank canvas!

We are happy for pretty basic however really aren't site of costs...we are engaging contractors to quote at the moment but keen to then compare this to what others have spent & their result.

Thanks in advance
J

My Metricon Phoenix in Melbourne
jasonwg
Hi All,

We've finished building the Dream home & had the front landscaping organised through the developer's contractor...now it's time for the backyard! Originally I had planned on doing most of it myself with friends/family however all of our schedules are hectic and we don't have the time.

So...it looks like I'll be hiring a landscaper to do this for us. My questions for those on the forums that have done the same is roughly what you've paid to have this done.

2) laying of turf
4) side rock path with paved walk way & planter boxes with similar plants & trees to rest of yard

We are happy for pretty basic however really aren't site of costs...we are engaging contractors to quote at the moment but keen to then compare this to what others have spent & their result.

Thanks in advance
J

I can recommend a very good one who does our area. He quotes about 30k under but this includes aggregate driveway and pathways around the home and retaining walls. With the work you require I reckon it wouldn't cost that much easily under 10k or even less.
I usually don't recommend people but this landscaper and our fencer are definitely worth mentioning. I've seen his work and it's 10/10. Only thing Is I'm not sure he does your area but no harm in finding out
he does everything to do with outdoors.

https://www.facebook.com/Allin1OutdoorDevelopments/
The recent pics are homes within our estate

Emmz70
jasonwg
Hi All,

2) laying of turf

Thanks in advance
J

I can recommend a very good one who does our area. He quotes about 30k under but this includes aggregate driveway and pathways around the home and retaining walls. With the work you require I reckon it wouldn't cost that much easily under 10k or even less.
I usually don't recommend people but this landscaper and our fencer are definitely worth mentioning. I've seen his work and it's 10/10. Only thing Is I'm not sure he does your area but no harm in finding out

Thanks Emmz, looks pretty good but I see they are based on the other side of town. Might give them a call during the week and see...
jasonwg
Emmz70
jasonwg
Hi All,

2) laying of turf

Thanks in advance
J

Thanks Emmz, looks pretty good but I see they are based on the other side of town. Might give them a call during the week and see...

Best of luck. We will be doing the same. We know we'll never have the time so it's better to get the basics done then we'll add over time

Hey Jason, can't offer much help & I'll be looking for a landscaper soon myself. May I ask, what the distance from the back fence to your Alfresco?

sinbox
Hey Jason, can't offer much help & I'll be looking for a landscaper soon myself. May I ask, what the distance from the back fence to your Alfresco?

No worries, it's 6 metres. Good luck J
jasonwg
sinbox

That's a great backyard size! Mine is only ~3m x 12.5m...

sinbox
jasonwg
sinbox

That's a great backyard size! Mine is only ~3m x 12.5m...

Originally it was much larger as I hadn't factored in the change of facade (added 2 metres to the front) and extension of dining & alfresco (4 metres). I'd picked a wide design and good block as the plan was to put a pool in later. Well the house cost way more than we thought in the end and whilst there is enough room, it will be tight...so now no pool! And $50k+ saved
Just an update if anyone is interested..I got about a dozen quotes for the landscaping from various companies some small, some larger. I could NOT believe the fluctuation in pricing - the cheapest quote about $8k to the most expensive being nearly $30k for effectively the same job, less a couple of details like staining of planters which I can do myself!! I've not allowed a big budget for plants but the contractor I chose said I'd be surprised by what he can buy for that as compared to us going and buying planes ourselves....

If anyone else is going down this route, I strongly suggest you do a lot of research and have a clear idea of what you want. In my case, I drew up a plan on paper to give them an idea on how I wanted it to look - excuse the drawing below, I'm not creative & it's not to scale!! The front was done already (it's basic so I might get them to spruce that up whilst doing the back).

My landscaping should start tomorrow and be done by end of the week. All going to plan, hopefully no rain!!

Will post pics once done, preying it will look good:-)

J
jasonwg
Just an update if anyone is interested..I got about a dozen quotes for the landscaping from various companies some small, some larger. I could NOT believe the fluctuation in pricing - the cheapest quote about $8k to the most expensive being nearly $30k for effectively the same job, less a couple of details like staining of planters which I can do myself!! I've not allowed a big budget for plants but the contractor I chose said I'd be surprised by what he can buy for that as compared to us going and buying planes ourselves....

If anyone else is going down this route, I strongly suggest you do a lot of research and have a clear idea of what you want. In my case, I drew up a plan on paper to give them an idea on how I wanted it to look - excuse the drawing below, I'm not creative & it's not to scale!! The front was done already (it's basic so I might get them to spruce that up whilst doing the back).

My landscaping should start tomorrow and be done by end of the week. All going to plan, hopefully no rain!!

J

Thanks for this Jason. We'll be looking into landscaping very soon as well. Gruelling job I see. We are pretty much after the same idea. Front will be mostly done through our decking and driveway so more emphasis will be on sides and backyard. Great idea drawing your plan up because they seem to want to add extras that you can do without. I can't wait to see the end result of yours.

jasonwg

J

Wow, such a dramatic difference in the quotes. Thanks for posting this. We have 10m from the alfresco to the back fence so gives us an indication of what we will need to budget for.
jasonwg

J

Hi Jason,

You have a beautiful house !! External and internal looks amazing.

Could you share some landscaping companies worth getting quote from? Much appreciated.
Zanga
jasonwg

J

Hi Jason,

Could you share some landscaping companies worth getting quote from? Much appreciated.

Thanks! Sure where abouts in VIC are you and I will PM you some I found when researching ...
jasonwg
Zanga
jasonwg

J

Hi Jason,

Thanks! Sure where abouts in VIC are you and I will PM you some I found when researching ...

Hi Jason would you mind sharing the companies and costs please thanks. We’re building in the western suburb

Related
2/10/2023
Landscaping Options and Costs

Building A New House

Ha all, I am now about half way (maybe a bit more) through my build with Carlisle Homes - double-storey knockdown/rebuild project. So I am now doing my due diligence and…

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum