Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

How to use chicken manure tea?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Looking for feedback on how others use their chicken manure for Veggie growing and also if they bother to also compost when they own chickens or if they just throw all scraps to chooks?

Recently I have been making chicken manure tea and leaving it to soak for 2+days and then watering it down to weak tea strength and poring it around vegies but it does not seem to make much difference so I'm wondering how often I need to do this to see results? After applying I water it in and then use water for the following days. The manure is from under the roosting perches and is more then a month old. Am I using it wrong and if so how do you use your Chicken manure that is under the roosting areas for best effect with silver beet and other leaf crops?
Hey Matt,
how are the chooks going?
Compost the chook poo.
Use the aged chook poo to make the compost tea.
Add in some molasses ( a gloop)
Get an aerator.
Brew it for around 24 hrs.

Use it.

Always be aware of salmonella when using chook poo around veggies.
Wash your food well.
Wait 24hrs before harvesting after apllication
Limeburner:Yeah the chooks are good. Just the usual they eat food, poop and go clucky so we get no eggs in return for months on end

FU: Thanks for the reply, so that means I need to build a compost pile and source more green materials as I currently throw all my green material to the chooks to eat and scratch around in the run. Before winter I empty all raised garden beds to top dress lawn, and then fill the beds with horse manure, straw/bedding and throw chicken manure in the pile to rot down over winter. Was just looking for an easy way to feed the plants during summer, hence the tea experiment which resulted in nice healthy green alge in the bucket and loads of flies.
lol

Get a aerator from an aquarium shop.
Chuck a hand full of compost into a dirty old sock or your neighbours clean sock off their line.
Brew the concoction with the molasses for 24hrs with the aerator bubbling away.
Then dilute it down to say a cupful in a watering can.
Related
29/05/2023
How I lost $100,000 and why I will never use steel frames

Building A New House

That sucks! Hope it all works out. Good to move away from steel anyway for all your reasons, but it's also thermally poor.

14/06/2023
What anchor/screw to use to mount to villaboard>airgap>brick

Bathrooms and Laundry

If what you describe is correct then the brick wall has been dry lined with villa board. That basically means that the villa board is glued to the brick wall with…

17/06/2023
Right sand to use?

Paving & Concreting

I'm putting a new floor in my kitchen, slate flagging on a standard concrete slab. I have allowed for a bed thickness of up to 20mm to accommodate the different…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum