Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Using 'Fresh' Cow Manure

Page 1 of 1
Does 'fresh' cow manure need to be left for a period before mixing it in to a new garden bed (no plants in yet)?

My soil is sandy loam, & could do with some manure turned in to it - and I have plenty on hand, lol!
My understanding (based on watching Gardening Australia!) is that fresh manure does need to be left for a few months before planting so it can break down & not burn the plants.

Apparently a good idea is to put some in your compost heap and after 2-3 months it should be ready.

Peter Cundall always appears to use processed pelletised manure on Gardening Australia.
Nah, don't worry about it you can pile it on I wish I had plenty. Cow manure will not burn, though you have to VERY careful with chicken manure. very potent.

Maggie
Fresh manure can contain weeds will sprout up in your garden as well.
Yes, Maggie, we had fresh chicken manure for years, - from our own chooks in our own back yard, can't get fresher than that
- but we always followed the advice to water it down and mix with soil, then let this cocktail brew for about a week before applying to plants. And don't apply to very young plants at all.
Cow manure is safest and cleanest as far as weeds are concerned. Cows have two stomacks, they regurgitate their food and digest twice so pretty much all is digested. I am not saying that 100% is digested but ... You get weeds from all natural products --- mulches, shredded material even potting mix bought in Bunnings. Most weeds however, will be blown in "on the wings of wind". One has to weigh the pluses and minuses what is better for the soil and the environment. I know what I am choosing, the choice is very personal. Some people will use only "clean" weed free material like pebbles for mulch and chemical fertilizer, no smell and theoretically clean, however, the questions is is it beneficial to the soil and in effect plants?????

Cheers

Maggie
OH Maggie, your words are again so great to hear

Those comments are so right.

Seeds are also stimulated into germination when the soil is disturbed. They may have lay there for years and when someone decides to get in there and spruce up the garden those seeds are sometimes brought to the surface and exposed to water (which is what most will do when finishing a garden project;))

On the topic of fresh cow poo. I will never recommend using it as a means of prepping the soil for planting.

Why? because of a few things. When you buy the cow poo, you don't know for sure if it is fresh or rotted. The same brand can vary in the age of it's contents throughout the year. I know of some brands sold that contain guaranteed rotted poo, but they are few and far between.
If the poo is fresh then the acids in the cow poo can burn the delicate roots of a new plant. The same can be said for chook poo or sheep poo or zoo poo
etc.

It does break down rapidly in the soil. This means that you can be left with a hole in the ground of much the same quality as it was before the prep in a matter of months. When planting always use a high quality soil improver/ conditioner that meets the premiums Australian standards (red ticks) Bailies soil improver here in the west is a fantastic one which contains a certified organic soil called Biowise among other great things. These are more permanent soils that hang about much longer giving the plant a better chance in life. (also don't forget the Seasol;))

I recall a chap years ago who swore his sheep poo was disappearing from the soil (sand
) I had to go to his house and see for myself the incredible case of the disappearing poo and explain to him that it breaks down and becomes one with the sand

However fresh cow poo is of a very great benefit in reinvigorating the soil. Just spread it on the surface in a very thick amount, pull it away from the stems so as not to rot the stem (causing some not cool things) and let the water take the goodies through to the roots and deeper soil. I don't often suggest digging much into the soil because of damaging surface roots of plants. just an unnecessary hassle for the plant to have to spend energy repairing damaged roots, you want it to spend energy getting more foliage and recovering from any pruning.

i am also mucking around with Molasses to bring the soils micro ecology to life! I am getting some excellent results! It is so cheap but that's another topic
Related
25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

7/02/2024
Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

Building A New House

Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum