Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Newcastle House-landscaping - veggies, general trial + error

Page 4 of 10
OMG craziness re the certifier situation. Can't wait to see your patio up!! What did you end up for the actual roof material?

As for the pool, yeah I'm with you. Do it now. You get to enjoy it for 2 more years too. Interest rates are low too, right. And you are growing money trees in the back there, right?
Our Section 96 (revised DA) has been approved!

Builder thinks he can start the patio roof on wednesday or thursday. We're pretty excited!

I'll update with a photo when something happens.
yvonneh
What did you end up for the actual roof material?

We ended up doing the lot in 50mm insulated roof panel. It's going to drastically reduce winter sun coming inside the house which saddens me, but will make summer in the yard a lot more pleasant.
yvonneh
As for the pool, yeah I'm with you. Do it now. You get to enjoy it for 2 more years too. Interest rates are low too, right. And you are growing money trees in the back there, right?

Haha yeah, don't we all??
Thing is we can afford a slightly higher loan, so it doesn't make much sense to wait. I'll be sure to share if we go ahead with the pool!
cat_dunc

Builder thinks he can start the patio roof on wednesday or thursday. We're pretty excited!

Yay! That's great. I can imagine how excited you are! I know we were of similar excitement when we got our DA and then when the builder could start!

Yes please to photos. Before, During, After
Oh I can't wait for more updates!!!

cat_dunc

Great news, can't wait to see all happening

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?=31&t=81624
Yaay that's awesome can't wait to see! & I agree do the pool now if you can

Wow there's so many of you still following my little landscape thread. Thanks so much!
The plants have grown so much. Our magnolia had its first flower too

I'll share some pictures over the week.
Wow I'm so impressed how everything has turned out, even more impressed that you've been doing it yourself! Looking forward to seeing more updates
A little while back we bought a punnet of viburnum tube stock. We repotted them into larger pots with the intention of growing them before planting them along the side:

We planted new plants in the garden beds:

We dug up down the side of the yard for the viburnum:

Then a little while passed and the viburnum weren't doing so well. We still hadn't bought organic soil to mix through the side garden bed for them, so went ahead and planted them on the other side: they've been in two weeks and are doing really great.

I'll keep them pruned and they'll give the kids some nice greenery look at from their windows.

The front yard is doing well:

Except for these guys: (any tips??)

Back gardens are growing well:

Patio roof has started! We've been trying to kill the bush grass with plastic, removed it for the patio roof builders.

Still a little while to go with the backyard but everything else was waiting on the patio roof. So we're so glad it's finally happening!
Your front garden is well established now. Frangipani looks very healthy. I had yellow colour flowering canna lily before the old house was demolished. Is that magnolia little gem? I do love the leaves of magnolia. so nice for backing bridal flower bouquets.

I do find gardening is always try and errors, some plants works so well in one area and when I relocate the plant ( thinking will look better or may do better in new location) they die on me.

Thank you for updating your landscaping thread, gives me many ideas to follow.

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81624
It's looking fantastic
I'm sorry I can't help with any gardening advice I tend to over love & kill things
yrs look really green and healthy though. You've done heaps!!

All this rain we've been getting isn't helping at all but the builders just put down tools and wait for it to finish then start up again.

There's mud everywhere around the block so definitely looking forward to it drying up.

Very happy with the progress:

So much mud

We'll need to work out how to stop water pooling here.
We were thinking of some little retaining wall needed and a low tropical garden as it won't get any sun. I thought a strip drain at the base of the wall outside the column line but now there's concrete right where the drain would go through. Argh I don't know.

A heap of water come from next door and drains across our yard. A lot gathers in front of and under these stairs. I hope mosquitos aren't breeding under there

The water then finally pools under/at the base of this garden where I've spread out some gravel to try lessen the mud.

Soooo lots of drainage to work out. Any suggestions let me know!
I'm sorry I can't help with drainage
but your patio is looking fantastic!

If you wants to stop future water pooling along the side of patio

1.Once you have finish building these plants will be under shade, move plants between the fence and patio.... replant those some where, plants you have now will not look good in 3 to 4 year as they needs full sun.
2. dig trench and install drainage system as below just like how you have done at the front ...I know it will be too much work.

I will be doing this along the side of the house next to guest room/study as rain water rush out to our land as we are on lower side. So this drainage will be carry out into a large rocks and gravel pit trench under open garden space. I'm not looking forward to do this ....but its on must do list!

Please post if you comes up with other solutions.

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81624
Oh man i never thought that those photinia along the fence would die ... They get full sun on the top, but that's probably not enough is it.

They look so good now too! What a real shame. How disappointing. lol
I'm pleased to say our roof is finally done!

Today we went to the pool and furniture shop. Decided on a slightly larger pool and will heat it. We sprayed it out in pink when we got home today.
If we put the pool in then the timber steps would go (need to come out to get the machine up to dig the hole anyway), and replace with a garden bed. Then would take the other end out that has the angled edge and covers part of the end of the patio.
Now to find a mortgage broker that actually shows up!

We also bought this dining set for outside. The table, 10 chairs and the blue mat
. It's from Outdoor Elegance.
cat_dunc
I'm pleased to say our roof is finally done!

Wow. Looks fabulous. You must be so pleased!

And I see you have decided on the pool! Yay.

Renders? 😎

Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum