Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Newcastle House-landscaping - veggies, general trial + error

Page 8 of 10
Tribe7
Go cat your on fire!!! Love the budgeting I'm a huge one for running a mean budget, interesting about the pricing too, very different up here.

Your hole looks huge!!! So exciting to see it dug and ready for the shell, sand bed has been done too?? Kinda looks like it.

Have you figured out what your going to plant along the fence?? Golden cane palms would be a good one as there roots are shallow and matt as opposed to a tree with root that might try and raid the pool??? So looking forward to seeing your pool go in, it was 37 here today reminded me why we NEED a damn pool too

37!!!!! That's insane! It's not even close to summer yet. Yikes you guys sure do need a pool. What's the thoughts with it now?

With regard to the prices being very different, do you mean dearer or cheaper?

I probably should have said which of the above included installation/labour as opposed to us doing. Yes I definitely need to make that clear! $17 k of retaining wall also included what felt like hundreds of hours of labour from us

Yep that's the pools sand bed, though they'll need to fix it come Monday after the dogs would have trodden all through it.
Tell me about it, 37 in winter is just not on! It's better today high 20's. We are still going to do the pool, I asked Metricon about having the pool installed while the build was happening and they said no! Because we are on acreage and have no access issues it can be done after handover, or if we MUST have it installed the whole pool has to have a lid for safety, at a cost of $2,500 I'm happy to wait till the house is finished.
Im buying a new bedroom suite with those dollars

A bit dearer on pricing, I've got a shed quote for a 9m long x 6m wide shed installed with a thicker slab due to our sh!tty soil and it's $17,120 finished. Our pool which is a 9X4 concrete rectangle, with stone capping and reinforced walls again because of the rotten soil is $37,375 that includes the pump, filter and fit off. Just need the electrician who lives on the opposite hill to wire it up for us. I'm not surprised your retaining was so high, your block work looks amazing and that stuff is pricey, it's a long and hard job too. I think our last front wall was $800, the plants are where I blew my budget I think I spent nearly $5k
your pool fencing is a good price, I agree about the glass between kids, bikes and dogs something or one is going to get broken.

We are looking to do a big stratco out the back, I'm hoping it's not up around the $25k mark my budget can't handle that. That's the m2 of your patio? It looks gigantic.

I laughed about your dogs having a party in the sand bed hehehehe can't wait for Monday to see the pool go in. Your doing an awesome job Cat

I always enjoys reading updates on your thread. With current warm weather temperature you don't have to wait for summer to come, jump straight in. Soooo envy!! Wish I have extra land for pool.

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81624
Tribe7
Tell me about it, 37 in winter is just not on! It's better today high 20's. We are still going to do the pool, I asked Metricon about having the pool installed while the build was happening and they said no! Because we are on acreage and have no access issues it can be done after handover, or if we MUST have it installed the whole pool has to have a lid for safety, at a cost of $2,500 I'm happy to wait till the house is finished.
Im buying a new bedroom suite with those dollars

A bit dearer on pricing, I've got a shed quote for a 9m long x 6m wide shed installed with a thicker slab due to our sh!tty soil and it's $17,120 finished. Our pool which is a 9X4 concrete rectangle, with stone capping and reinforced walls again because of the rotten soil is $37,375 that includes the pump, filter and fit off. Just need the electrician who lives on the opposite hill to wire it up for us. I'm not surprised your retaining was so high, your block work looks amazing and that stuff is pricey, it's a long and hard job too. I think our last front wall was $800, the plants are where I blew my budget I think I spent nearly $5k
your pool fencing is a good price, I agree about the glass between kids, bikes and dogs something or one is going to get broken.

We are looking to do a big stratco out the back, I'm hoping it's not up around the $25k mark my budget can't handle that. That's the m2 of your patio? It looks gigantic.

I laughed about your dogs having a party in the sand bed hehehehe can't wait for Monday to see the pool go in. Your doing an awesome job Cat

Ohh good idea about installing afterwards and saving the dollars. New furniture suite is exciting!

Oh man we got ripped off on the shed. We didn't get multiple quotes, just went with my sister in law's step dad. Makes me want to find our invoice from years ago to check out of interest.

Our retaining walls.. yes we definitely didn't chose a cheap option. That included $7k of concrete under them and steel rods because I was petrified either our house or the neighbour's house would slip if we made them without it
Least we'll hopefully never have to touch them again...

Our roof is a straco
They were the cheapest by far. It's 67m2
shazaw
I always enjoys reading updates on your thread. With current warm weather temperature you don't have to wait for summer to come, jump straight in. Soooo envy!! Wish I have extra land for pool.

Thanks so much. I was so nervous about the tradies being here, as usually something doesnt turn out how i want. But verrrry excited about seeing the pool shell
::party:: Only three more sleeps!!!!
Monday morning, spied this through the front door!

Followed by:

And we put up temp fencing. We'll reuse this as permanent fence after it's all done.

We're pretty excited and so happy with our choice of pool colour, size and shape.
The guys who installed it were really lovely - about seven of them all up. Way more than I expected. They went hard and got it in quickly. We paid an extra $100 cash for the ground levelling and trenches.

Electrician comes on Saturday morning then on Sunday we can fill the trenches back in and get our back area flat and turf under way!
Wow looks deep... how deep is it? Water is going in already?? So... does that mean you can jump in now?

ehhc
Wow looks deep... how deep is it? Water is going in already?? So... does that mean you can jump in now?

It's about 1.2 at the shallow end and 1.65 at the deeper end.

Yep it's full of water! We had the hose in it overnight and it was full in the morning.

Technically yes we can jump in, but oh holy balls no way I'm going in there yet! To me my shower is cold unless it's on full bull hot
Hubby said he'd dare it on the weekend so the kids can get their first jump then
cat_dunc
And we put up temp fencing. We'll reuse this as permanent fence after it's all done.

Love it
colour is perfect... wish we chose that one now!

Wow how did I miss this!
You already have water in your pool.

Bet your little ones can't wait to get in and have fun.
lozza81
Love it
colour is perfect... wish we chose that one now!

Your pool colour is perfect too
Think of it as a cold plunge like those hot spring resorts haha.

OMG you got the pool in

It's taken me about 15 mins of stalking to find your pool thread (I forgot it was in the landscaping section not the building a new house section, hence why I couldn't find it and said a few choice words) I don't know why it vanished from my feed?

Pool looks awesome, when is the edge beam getting concreted up? Did you get your power ran?

Where are you hiding the pump house stuff?

Can't wait to see your landscaping pics with the pool finished.

I still want to find sleepers like yours too

Yeah we did, yayyy!!

Hehehe yeah I've confused a heap of poeple by moving to a landscape thread. Probably should've just kept it where it was in the home one but *meh*
Sorry you had to stalk to find it. Doesn't it link to my thread at the bottom of my posts?

Our timeline is this week:
Friday - we're going to attempt a strip drain between the pool & patio, put in some underground pipes and deposit the water down the back of the block behind the shed using the trenches (it will only be for overflow of the pool when it rains)
Saturday - Electrician does his magic
Sunday - We can fill in the trenches and level/clean up all the dirt mounds (my favourite part. I find it therapeutic making dirt mounds level again
)
Monday - Formwork and/or concreting

We ordered our pavers today too. Gorgeous limestone from Mitre 10. A fair whack to the pocket but so pretty
Sorry Lozza that I stuffed you around (we were going to order together but i kept forgetting to make it happen). Thanks for being a champ and waiting the extra time in case i came through anyway. Hubby didn't want to wait anymore and ordered for us. We ordered 140 pavers to cover about 30 m2. We'll see how out my calcs were on quantities once it's done

We had our pool tutorial on Monday. We were taught how to run the equipment, clean the pool etc. All seems pretty easy!

Got a quote for 5.8kw of solar on the shed - $8k!! Ouch. About $3k more than I was expecting. We'll keep looking. Surely that's not a good price? This is what they quoted:

"5.80 kW Domestic Solar PV System:
20 x Jinko Solar PV Panels 1 x Fronius Primo 5.0kW Inverter Fitted to three phase power supply and colorbond roofing including all fees, charges, connections, net metering, installation and commissioning."

Anyone have any ideas on how much these should cost?
Pool surrounds concrete went in today

We completely screwed up a DIY install of a strip drain on the weekend. I screwed up the drain, glued it in the wrong spot, and the Mr tried to make the drain lower and smashed it with a soft mallet and broke heaps of the clips.

Haha many swear words said and we ripped the bugger out, hosed the concrete off and threw it over near the shed.

We decided to put a tiny garden in between concrete areas to stop some of the water draining into the patio area. We're thinking a little boxus hedge and mondo grass.
It will look way nicer!

This is after ripping the strip drain out.

Formwork pre-concrete.

Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum