Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Paving Question

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, got a quetion re paving.

I am building a 'courtyard' which will have paving ( 600 x 300mm pavers )around the edges, with granatic sand compressed in the middle. I plan to put the pavers on a mortar base, with a little mortar up the sides to prevent movement.

My question is what mixture / ratio to use for the mortar mix, and of what ingrediants?. Just a simple road base and compacted sand will allow too much movement.

Attached is what I am going to achieve.

Any help would be appreciated.
pre-mixed sand/cement would be fine
Thanks Luke, but I would prefer to mix it myself, given the amount I will need. Premix gets a little expensive after about 5 bags
mate here in WA we pave straight onto just sand. compacted yellow sand. Never moves anywhere with the edges mudded up. even on driveways. A whole city paved on sand
no road base

i use a mix of 1:4 of brickies lite and yellow sand. or was it 1:3? bugger now I am not sure
(edit: that's just to mud up the edge of the pavers)

Often I get 2:8 into a barra and mix it up with a bit of water slowly added.
gday Adrian

for a single pave course you need built to last i lay pavers on premix concrete (concrete truck, this is the cheapest option but you have to move fast with laying process)
but to mix yourself excavate the required width to suit pavers to a depth of 75 - 80mm (this is the thickness if the pavers dont have heavy vehicle traffic)

the ratio to use is 3 x 14mm blue metal (bluestone without fines), 1 x concrete sand and 1 x gp cement
(dont use brickies sand it has to much fat in it and as such dosnt have much compression stregth)
(dont use road base as the rock has clay in it)
recycled concrete or 'b' grade rock is okay in place of blue metal
in a wheel barrow place 4 x lots of the above ratio and mix all together without water
when completely mixed add water to a workable consistency
(dont add bondcrete it doesnt do anything long term if anything use crommlens acrylic cement modifier or some sort of polymer additive )
get a bucket and place 1ltr of water in it now put 1 1/2 shovels of straight cement into bucket and mix to form a paste (a little runnier than toothpaste)
lay 2 - 3 lineal meters of conc. out to 10 - 20mm above required paver height
(after string lines are setup)
brush the underside of the paver with the cement paste and locate onto concrete bed and tap down with a rubber mallet, i use a white mallet so as not to put scuff marks on pavers
if the mallet is black put some gaffa tape around it
the paver needs to bed in around 10 - 20mm
there is no need to haunch the side of the pavers using the wet on wet method (pasting the underside)
level the paver with a quality in plumb spirit level

any dramas pm me
Troy
It is 4 sharp/concrete/or washed sand, whatever it's called in your area to 1 cement.
Thanks ppls, all done, photos to come
Related
29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

26/12/2023
Paving Concrete Over Termguard Pipes

Building A New House

As most others have posted above the install isn't compliant. The pipe is meant to be covered in loose soil or sand, the pipe has holes in it that leaks out a termicide…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum