Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

How do I lay Versastone as garden edging?

Page 1 of 1
So I am considering using Versastone as garden edging. Just one block high plus capping along certain areas of my backyard. This is Versastone.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x400/smallnads/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3711_zpszzgfpi4s.jpg

When used as a retaining wall it is meant to be core filled with something like blue metal.

As I'll be using it as edging do you think I'll still need to core fill it? I also assume I'll need to lay a concrete foundation to lay them on, how deep would you think I'd need the foundations/concrete?

I've tried Googling but all of the information I have found has to do with using them as a retaining wall ?
You tube should have something similar.
Crushed rock 80-100mm with a layer about 10mm layer of sand would be the go for a garden edge. Don't worry about filling it with stone unless you intend to use it as a 200mm high retaining wall for soils. Mulch would be ok without fill as it is light. I am going to do a similar thing at my place and also will have a 600mm high retaining wall across the centre and at the front of my front yard too to level half of it to house concrete apron. The bottom of retaining wall will then slope down to the garden edge laid along footpath edge.
goody59
Crushed rock 80-100mm with a layer about 10mm layer of sand would be the go for a garden edge. Don't worry about filling it with stone unless you intend to use it as a 200mm high retaining wall for soils. Mulch would be ok without fill as it is light. I am going to do a similar thing at my place and also will have a 600mm high retaining wall across the centre and at the front of my front yard too to level half of it to house concrete apron. The bottom of retaining wall will then slope down to the garden edge laid along footpath edge.

I was thinking crushed rock and sand may suffice. The blocks won't be retaining anything, just mulch.

Your plan to level out your yard sounds great.

Still trying to finalize our backyard plans. Too many decisions to make!
We just used a heap of versastone . Have a look at my thread.

Shambini
We just used a heap of versastone . Have a look at my thread.

Oh yes, I remember seeing your thread. I love your landscaping. I didn't realize it was versastone. Looks like it was laid on sand.

Are you happy with Versastone? It's pretty expensive per block. I'm tossing up between Versastone edging or rendered besser blocks. I guess by the time I render the besser blocks it would cost around the same ? Plus Versastone doesn't require any bricklaying skills as they click together so more DIY friendly.
Related
1/03/2024
Native garden plans

Landscape & Garden Design

Fig Landscapes has produced an e-book and native plant index, available for purchase from their website. It's a great resource, full of inspiration and tips. Another…

27/03/2024
Vertical Garden Kitchen splash back design

General Discussion

Our Bondi Greenwall was impressive from day one with advanced lush plants to provide a wow factor to this recently renovated living area. The boundary was less than 1…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum