Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Top soiling my lawn

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

My lawn is about 5 years old and never been top soiled after it was layed.
I think its time as the grass isnt getting as green as it once was years ago and also.. its starting to get marks in the turf from where the mailman is riding his bike through.

Can someone please recommend what type of top soil i should use? Would this raise the level of the turf where the mailman has left his tyre tracks?
Hi tikelz,
Hope my reply is not too late !!

The best top dressing would be a light layer of organic compost (prepared to Australian standards at minimum, or certified at best). You only would need enough so that the blades of the grass still show through once its raked in. If you need to raise the levels, also add some sand to this compost in the areas where you need to increase levels. The areas with just compost will not increase levels, and will in fact "disappear" into your soil over time, and increase the health of your soil = healthier and greener grass. Also add some seasol /powerfeed at the rates specified on the bottle. Also, some blood and bone (watered in well, or when it rains).
And last but not least, get some molasses on there !! Awesome stuff apparently ! Do a search on here to find out what quantity you need to use, there's heaps of posts regarding this.

You an also aerate the soil underneath with a fork so that some of the goodness also gets into the deeper layer of soil.

All the above are organic inputs, no need for additional fertilizers at all.

Good luck and let us know how it goes !
As above, but core it first.. Either with a fork, petrol coring machine (hire it) or manual corer like this;
http://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-tubu ... -_p3360722
Then sweep the organic compost into the holes as you top dress.
The lawn is coming out of winter dormancy so wait till it's all greened up before doing the above recommendations.
Great thank you for the suggestions.

Where is the best place to get Organic compost? for the lawn and what type of sand?

I like in the Hills/Blacktown area. The last time i rang a couple of soil places and told them i wanted to put Organic compost on my lawn, they said no you dont do that, you need to put top soil.
I was thinking of getting the 80/20? is that the same as organic compost plus sand?
http://parkleasandsoil.com.au/landscape ... -underlay/

But would that help address the levels?
Related
31/12/2023
crusher dust to level lawn

Landscape & Garden Design

the leaves that are now underground go yellow, the tips that poke through photosynthesise and have chlorophyll, same reason they grow rhubarb in the dark.

31/01/2024
Bench top chipped

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

These can be easily filled and repaired and it doesn't cost them much to do. Id get the builder to do this first and if the repair is not suitable then a replacement is…

14/09/2023
Bench top overhang on the side

Laundry

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum