Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

WREXTER'S REAR LANDSCAPING JOURNEY - Update Photos

Page 5 of 7
Looking good! Is there a drain or sump for the vertical garden?

wrexter
Thanks surtees, i can see the end in sight....

Installed the vertical garden wall over the weekend also and connected/tested the retic system. Happy days.

Yes, it was a late pickup before bricking was done, but on both sides (at the bottom) there is a drain for excess water (with netting to block leaves etc).

There is no sump, excess water will just drain at the bottom, no different to rain etc.

mtchye
Looking good! Is there a drain or sump for the vertical garden?
wrexter
SteveMc
How much area are you working up wrexter? I'm interested to know what quantities you are working with

using Tapatalk
Edge39.my-letter-box.com

Hi SteveMc

I am preparing for the following

Garden Beds - 16 m2 - 100mm of Soil Conditioner added - Mixed to Depth of 300mm
Lawn - 12 m2 - 75mm of Soil Conditioner added - Mixed to a depth of 150mm

Zeolite - 3kg per m2 addded to lawn and garden beds
Bentonite Clay - 6kg per m2 addded to lawn and garden beds

Wrexter, can you please advise where you got Soil conditioner, zeolite and bentonite from and how much? I will also be preparing my backyard, generally as per fu's guide, ready for spring planting.

I understand your front lawn was prepped like this as well. How is it holding up?
loving this , cant wait to see the end product

Batesy
Hi kabaw,

I purchased the Soil Conditioner from 'Good Life Soil Co', i bought the General Mix Concentrate (Delivered).

For Garden Beds, I applied 150mm on top of my sand (cleaned of rocks etc) and mixed it to 300mm.
For Lawn areas, I applied 100mm on top of my sand (cleaned of rocks etc) and mixed it to 200mm.

I didnt realise, but this mix had zeolite and bentonite already in it, but i bought some more anyways and added a bit more to it.

I bought the Zeolite and Bentonite clay from 'Mirco Bros' in Henderson. They were well priced, look on their website.

This is my front after 3.5 years, its doing reasonably well with little maintenance but im still learning about plant maintenance and care, i had a bit of dead patch on grass which i cored recently and added top dressing and seems to be recovering.

I definitely need to trim my hedges! Might wait till spring.

kabaw
Wrexter, can you please advise where you got Soil conditioner, zeolite and bentonite from and how much? I will also be preparing my backyard, generally as per fu's guide, ready for spring planting.

I understand your front lawn was prepped like this as well. How is it holding up?
Thanks Batesy, i cant wait either, the end is definitely near.

batesdw13
loving this , cant wait to see the end product

Batesy
Just wanted to post a quick update, decking bearers in. Joists shouldn't take long to install before i can start laying Jarrah Boards. Cant wait.

Good one Wrexter. Looks like you're almost there. You must be very thrilled.
It appears that you dug out more sand to get to that level. Did you do it manually? How did dispose it?
Yes i had remove a bit of sand to bring the levels down, i need to have ~50mm at least between sand and the bottom of my bearers.

Sand was removed manually an painfully, dumped in my trailer and taken to the tip.

Wish i had just bit the bullet at the start and hired a mini bobcat for excavation works. I will be doing that in the future if i ever do this kind of thing again (hopefully not for a very long long time).

Its been 9 months so far since i started, cant wait to finish in time for spring.

In other news, i ordered 8 x Ornamental plum trees (Oakville Crimson Spire) in bare rooted form which i have received a message that they are ready for pickup, likely pick up this weekend and plant them.

I will also aim to pickup my frangipani next weekend for planting.

Current status of decking:

Sorry for lack of update, its been a slow month, rainy weekends, got sick and also doing a bit of planting. Our frangipani is in:

Also, all the decking sub floor is complete, just coating the undersides of my Jarrah boards before they go on.
Looking good Wrexter...keep the photos coming!
Thanks kabaw, i will try and get a bunch of photos this weekend to post, have planted my 8 ornamental plum trees (bare rooted) also.
looks great mate
I have been following your posts You have come a long way and you have done really well! I can't wait to admire your finished back yard soon. I kept taking screen shot of your post and send to hubby with message saying "can you do this "

Thanks, always appreciate the feedback.

I cant beleive its been almost a year since i started, didnt expect it would take that long. But when you have only weekends to work on it (while still juggling the demands of life) it does take its time.

It will definitely be finished in time for summer though.

My next big challenge is deciding what plants will be going in, im not 100% comfortable with plant selection. May need to get a horticulturalist involved.
Following your thread and it's a good lesson for someone like myself to plan and design before jumping into garden work.

Which stone tiles and sealed did you use as bench top around your pizza oven?
mirz
Following your thread and it's a good lesson for someone like myself to plan and design before jumping into garden work.

Which stone tiles and sealed did you use as bench top around your pizza oven?

Thanks Mirz, planning definately helps keep the costs down and my sanity in check!

I used porcelain tiles around the pizza oven, as its a outdoor application, a special epoxy was used for the grout, Ardex range. The tile shop specified it for me.
Hi all, long overdue update, decking boards are going on slowly, should be all finished by mid sept, ready for planting!

Just amazing! You've done such a brilliant job with your landscaping! Well done

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Related
30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum