Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Plants close to boundary - regulation?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We had some gardening done at our rental property and the neighbours are now complaining they the gardener had planted some of the plants too close to the boundary (which is a brick veneer wall of the neighbour's bedroom that is right on the boundary) They are claiming they there had to be a 50cm clearance to avoid "damage to the wall and foundation due to increased dampness from watering those plants"
Sounds all a bit ridiculous to me but I wanted to check whether there is any regulation around this in Victoria.
Any advice is appreciated!
Regards, Christian

Do you have a photo?
I think it sounds abit ridiculous as well. As a home owner, your obligation is to stop water from entering neighbouring properties. It wouldn't flood their area I'm sure?

I thought that only non habitable rooms can have boundary walls. I would ask for the legislation that stipulates boundary set back for plants. I think it is quite normal to have plants planted next to the fences.

Read up on boundary walls and I think you will find that they should not be walls for habitable rooms.
The neigbiur's house was built about 2005/06, we brought the property in 2011.

Here are some pictures of the plants in question.

Related
25/01/2024
Plants for Pool in Melbourne

Landscape & Garden Design

Murraya could be a great option for you. It creates a great tall screening hedge but doesn't drop fruit like lily pilly. The flowers smell divine.

19/07/2023
URGENT·····Garage Boundary Wall Water Proofing Issue

Building A New House

thanks Chippy, i hope they have applied sealer but i am doubt to be honest, so i am gonna do this job after handover.

19/08/2023
Easement and building garage to boundary

Renovation + Home Improvement

You should be able to encase the sewer but you will need it designed and approved and access to lot 580 to do the work

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum