Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Landscaping a new house (Sydney)

Page 5 of 6
Our deck is expensive as we also are including a gazebo and we want spotted gum

So it's now working on what we want/need and choosing between two quotes. We have had previous quotes as well to compare but these last to are when we have honed in down.
yvonneh
Our deck is expensive as we also are including a gazebo and we want spotted gum

So it's now working on what we want/need and choosing between two quotes. We have had previous quotes as well to compare but these last to are when we have honed in down.

Yvonne, firstly you needed a deck ( with any kind of outdoor timber) spotted gum will be stunning ... check for other options, same quality ...cheaper price

There is a timber yard at Sydenham... my dad always go to that place as he find timbers more cheaper .... In your case timbers are cheap ... labour charges are very high

I will be using composite timber decking, don't have to sand down or paint.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81624
Have you check out car boot market at Riverwood communities centers carpark.
The market open every 1st Sat and 3rd Sat of the month from morning to 1pm.
I went there just to look at plants but could'd resist magnolia on sales.
Got two large magnolia trees today, for the price of one.

viewtopic.php?=31&t=81624
I do know about the market. I've bought a couple of plants there in the past. Haven't planned any more plants yet. Just need to tidy what we have.

many of the plants you gave me are still in temporary pots! I have a plan for the taro to go into a water fountain pot near the bedroom. But the rest are still pending planning. What is the vege that you gave me?

This one
yvonneh
I do know about the market. I've bought a couple of plants there in the past. Haven't planned any more plants yet. Just need to tidy what we have.

many of the plants you gave me are still in temporary pots! I have a plan for the taro to go into a water fountain pot near the bedroom. But the rest are still pending planning. What is the vege that you gave me?

This one

Top one in the white container is sorrel plant, has lemony tangy flavour. I use a cupful in rice porridge just to give that extra tangy flavour. or make sour soup similar to Tom yam soup. I have seen in some cooking show using some sorrel in risotto.

The bottom one with bigger heart shape leaves are Elephant ears.... loves water.
We make soup out of stems. ( a lot of elephant ears looks similar but not every Elephant ears plants are edible). You can find these in Vietnam green grosser. Not sure how others will cook.
I grow elephant ears for they striking looks. large beautiful heart shape are very eyes catching.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81624
I call the bottom ones taro
. That's what I'll be putting into a water feature pot.

Ah sorrel! I'll look up some recipes.

Found out recently that I can cook and eat sweet potato leaves! We have lots in one of our garden beds

Find one supplier that can help with soil, plants, decking timber, sleepers etc. Will help with delivery and also pricing.
We have paid a deposit for the deck. We are going with shazw's guy. Always good to get a recommendation. We have decided to get spotted gum. And pay the price.

We have also decided to get solar panels. With the option of batteries down the track.

In terms of the garden we have small harvests with some strawberries, raspberries and figs.

And I'm planning out my chicken coop!

Ok a few photos for any pic piggies lurking out there.

View of corn in background of my Japanese garden

Closeup of my Korean grass

I don't think I can be self sufficient just yet!

Square foot garden bed

Exciting fruit... Which I doubt will make it ?

In love with your big garden, and wow very productive vege patch too.
You have more apples than I do ( have three on my little tree)

After following many landscaping on H1 and reading your thread... I cannot wait to get my hands on my site and start digging.

When do you start the deck and how long will it take to finish.

The deck doesn't start till January. We've waited this long...

I love the idea of a productive garden... and the photos are from our 'front' yard. Benefits of having a battleaxe block! Our back yard will just be the deck pretty much (there is 'ground' level but that won't be anything at this stage). And the courtyard is more growing space with plans of a vertical garden. I have all my vertical garden pots... just need to build a structure for them -- the idea is to do an aquaponics system so we have a bit of a fish pond in the courtyard.

I'm actually not sure what I'll do with all the vege gardens! It's only two of us. And I'll have eggs when we have chickens. I think I need to become more vegetarian.

Shazw - You already have lots of pots in your townhouse... you'll just have to wait your turn for 'real' gardening.

Oh and I bought a bunch of Chilean Guava plants which I'll get into the courtyard in front of the bamboo to create a bit of a hedge that smells nice. Should fruit in a few years. Dang things take a long time to grow
Take chicken eggs to your office and sell them. My hubby buy duck eggs from his work mate...totally organic.

As for vege eat what you can, your family and friends will love to pick some things as they visit you.
I really enjoyed watching other people picking chillies and silverbeet leaves from my garden. Also using the fresh lettuce from the garden for BBQ meat wrap...

I have a guava tree ( large green variety ) so far only fruited once.
This week I tried plums from my garden... its was too sour.

Our front yard is getting there. Repositioned the garden beds and have ordered vermiculite, peat moss and compost for them. Chickens may have to wait till we are back from our trip in April... Maybe. (I may get impatient and just get them and get a chicken minder!)

Between garden beds will be our old pavers we had in the old house with pockets of my Korean grass.
yvonneh
Our front yard is getting there. Repositioned the garden beds and have ordered vermiculite, peat moss and compost for them. Chickens may have to wait till we are back from our trip in April... Maybe. (I may get impatient and just get them and get a chicken minder!)

Between garden beds will be our old pavers we had in the old house with pockets of my Korean grass.

Cute little chicken coup.
I love the chicken coop too
I'm loving your thread! Your ideas are very similar to what I have in mind! Now to wait for a year before my house is built and I can use some of your ideas
Our deck is done!

And an update on the raspberry plant... Just because it's growing a lot

Gorgeous
Im sure you'll spend so much time out there
We finally had some good weather so managed to get the oiling done. After cleaning with Napisan and Oxalic acid to get rid of mould ?

Before and after oiling yesterday

So satisfying to do. We've decided to try and oil at around daylight savings changeovers. Every 6 months. Let's see how long we are good for!

We used

Which is an oil (not water based) which means more maintenance required.

Great looking deck
a lick of oil really enrich the natural colour of timber.
Such a good idea using Napisan for cleaning deck.

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?=31&t=81624
Looks excellent. Have you been using it much?

Did you submit an application to Council re. next door?
Related
5/11/2023
Building a 39 square house in Schofields Sydney

General Discussion

No idea about the driveway question, but your price for a house that size including landscaping seems very good!

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum