Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Summer vegetables

Page 1 of 1
What are some easy vegetables to plant In summer for a new gardener/black thumb?

Not exactly Landscape but I know some people here know.. I am practicing in my parents yard until our house is built
I want to have a useful landscape design with verges that is not too high maintenance overall at my new house.
What climate are you in? Ironically summer isnt the time to start new plants. The weather gets hot too fast for an emerging plant to cope with. But here's a list of things that will cope, and wont.

Good for summer
- melons/cucumbers
- Tomatoes
- perennial herbs like rosemary, thyme, marjoram, oregano

Generally though the summer veg need to be started in spring in order to be harvested in summer/early autumn.

Things that wont go well in summer
- Lettuces and gourmet green mixes. They bolt to seed in the heat. Although you may have some success growing them in the shade.
- Annual herbs like parsley, coriander and basil, they will run to seed also.

In many places summer is a dead season as far as getting something started, it gets too hot and dry. In my last garden we stopped sowing in Dec and didnt bother again until March. Everything just fried in summer apart from the established plants. That was in the subtropics. Its a good time to read seed catalogues though and plan the autumn sowing.

But you'll get the most help if you mention where you are gardening.
Thanks for the reply. Yes one thing I Did know is that summer isnt a good planting time but was hoping there was something I could try. We are in Newcastle so not tropical.
Newcastle is subtropics, same as the climate I was gardening in. So here's my pick of things to try.

Corn - look for a 60 day to harvest variety
Tomato - if you choose an early fruiting variety you will probably get a harvest before it gets too cold. Cherry toms are good for this although I grew Maria Italia which seemed to be a good quick fruiter as well.
Okra - it's an african native so it can stand the heat and grows fast.
Snake Bean - it's a tropical plant and produces over a long period and very quickly. Super easy to grow. The bonus being that it also enriches the soil for your next crop in autumn as a nitrogen producer.
Cucumbers - go well in the heat but you'll have to protect the seedlings until they take off. Maybe a bit of shade cloth. Try lebanese variety.
Baby Leaves - grow them in full shade and you'll get pickings from 4 weeks but the heat of late summer will probably send them all to seed rather quickly. Still a good one to try out as they are quick, cheap and easy.
Pumpkin - a quick, small growing variety. I dumped some pumpkin seeds in my garden and have two seedlings at the moment, they are doing fine. They are Japanese pumpkins.
Watermelon - try a small variety so they have a chance to grow and ripen before autumn.
Artichoke - these grow huge, native to the mediterreanean so can cope with heat.
Comfrey - this one is more to feed the soil but it grow anytime and well worth planting especially if you have chickens. It can be used as chicken food and they love it. The other advantage is that being a long tap rooted plant it brings nutrients up from the lower levels of the soil and releases them into the surface soil for other plants to use. The leaves can also be cut and used as mulch and fertiliser.

All I can think of right now.
Thank you!!!!!!
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum