Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

What to do....

Page 1 of 1
We have a 4.3 x 6.6 area under our alfresco that my DH wants decked(at some point in time anyway). After having some scarey quotes, i've been given the task of working out how to DIY the project! Aren't i lucky. Anyway we aren't quite ready to do this yet.

So now, we've been told we need to have ALL our paving laid before our landscaper will install the lawn/retic that we have already paid for in. The said paving happens to run along our side fence, gate and then along one edge of the alfresco-yet-to-be-decked area.

So i'm wondering what to do....

should we just get the paving done up to the gate/beginings of the alfresco so that we can get our lawn sorted and still have plenty of room to digg out the soil etc to put the decking in later when we arent so cash strapped. Then once the decking is done do the remainder of the paving around the area

OR

how much problem/damage/carnage would we cause if we had the entire paving done now but would then have to dig out the soil in the alfresco area later when we get round to putingt the decking in.... (DH seems quite keen to do things this way as we would save a few $$ by getting all the paving done at once)

OR

Go stuff it get the whole lot paved including the alfresco and later on down the track put the decking up on top of the paving. This seems to be a much easier way though perhaps a more expensive option...

*sigh* I really do wonder why is everything so damn expensive and difficult... i just want my lawn so i'm not living in a sandpit anymore

Sooo... advice/suggestions anyone?
Oh what a decision!

Cant you get the dirt out of the alfresco now, do the necessary paving to get the grass in, then do the deck and paving when it suits?? That way you are not damaging whats down by digging the alfresco later.

Be aware, sometimes if you dont finish things straight away, we learn to live with them, and suddenly its 10 years down the track and its still not finished
Allyissia I would suggest that the last thing to go in is the grass.

As for the deck, I have a post that has ust been updated in the Outdoor living forum, which Luke has helped to update.
Lawn is incredibly easy to grow. I've done it many times from seed. Just have some half-decent dirt, sprinkle the seed, rake it in, and wait a couple of weeks. Really, there's no reason to employ anyone. It must take all of about 5 seconds per square meter.
Cabinfever
Lawn is incredibly easy to grow. I've done it many times from seed. Just have some half-decent dirt, sprinkle the seed, rake it in, and wait a couple of weeks. Really, there's no reason to employ anyone. It must take all of about 5 seconds per square meter.

Having wasted a fortune on roll out turf 8 years ago and then being hit with the drought there is no way I would ever, ever, ever go this option again. If I want grass I'll grow it myself, and if it can't survive, too bad.....there's plenty of native grasses and grass alternatives.
Quote:
Having wasted a fortune on roll out turf 8 years ago and then being hit with the drought there is no way I would ever, ever, ever go this option again. If I want grass I'll grow it myself, and if it can't survive, too bad.....there's plenty of native grasses and grass alternatives.

Good choice tdl.
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum