Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Landscape help for new construction

Page 1 of 1
Good day,

Building a house, of which ive planned out various areas to have a garden and play area for children etc. As you will see by the attached pdf, i have sort of 3 gardens to create. I don't mind paying someone for the "ideas" however have access to all of the tools and heavy machinery to do the work myself, and would prefer where i can to do this, so i can learn, and pass on these skills to my children as well. The house is a solar passive design, and rated pretty well, the idea is to have a fairly sustainable house, with minimal heating/cooling, and the design has taken into consideration the views from each window. I am trying to create the style of "living picture" where possible, so that each window you look out of, you will see a garden/vegetation.

In post code 5073, so quite cool in winter near conservation park (has park as view from rear garden). I would like to screen out the houses around as much as possible, but not have to be continually looking after the garden to ensure that it looks nice (low maintenance).

The 3 gardens i will have to build are as follows:
Front garden: which will require no doubt moss rocks and or some form of retaining wall, i prefer moss rocks, simple but clean/neat and easily maintained.

Courtyard garden: will be of a Japanese style with crushed rocks, some larger small boulders, nandina domestica, various potted conifers , and this garden can be completely enclosed in summer to block out hte heat, so no trees with canopy which will restrict this. Im happy to put those further back towards the fence, and quite liked chinese tallow, but fear it may be too big over time, also unsure about how invasive root system is. Courtyard size is around 48sqm 8 x 6 roughly.

Rear garden: split up into two sections, an area where kids can play, and at the back i have already created a raised garden bed and planted in fruits/veges etc, this garden bed is around 6mtrs deep x 17 wide. So the part between the garden bed and the house needs to be planned out, and to be honest im at a loss. who would be the best person to get some plans from, in Adelaide that will best understand and be able to guide me, which wont cost me the earth.

Ideally, what i want is a plan and a person/persons i can get feedback from and ask questions. Im not sure if this is done via this forum, or am i asking too much?

Anyway, any feedback will be good. I have a large list of plants ive already used, and am planning to use if this helps.

Link to pic of garden/house: BTW the brown bit is the house: https://www.dropbox.com/s/liwfq9fv18ga9 ... 20v0.1.pdf

Thanks

Littlegong
Im not sure of the usual turn around on a question, however with 78 views and no replies, i assume that either no one knows, or im asking too much of the community?

Whatever the reason can someone please say so.

Thanks

Littlegong
Hi little gong. My link doesn't work but I hadn't replied as I'm no expert. Seeing as you know what you want perhaps a landscape architect would be a good option. It costs between $1500-2000 for plans. Also, if you play around with some of the online programs and have photos of your designs people respond a little better to pictures. I'm too much of a tech loser to do it but many on here do that. Also people may want to know the area ie is it close to the ocean, which state etc? Maybe some photos of the house plans could assist people too. If you look up the landscape architect association in your state they could easily recommend someone to plan your garden. That's pretty much what I did and I'm rapt with my plans. I got a folder that I can follow myself if I want to do it or I could just hand it over to a gardener to follow.
I have to agree with Joannek; better to have pictures here on the forum than to have to go elsewhere (and download a pretty sizeable document) to visualise what you are talking about. Is the house already built? I wasn't sure from your post.

As to the design question, it seems like you already have some good ideas and a bit of a "vision" as to what you want. In my case I was lucky enough to have a family friend who went to the horticultural college in Burnley (Victoria) and was able to give me some of her expertise and a handwritten plan free of charge

Not sure if SA has a similar such college but that might be a place to start to see if they have a list of students/graduates who might be able to assist you with the design elements of your garden for a low price? The best thing about having someone with a bit of expertise do the plan for you is the fact that they may be able to recommend plants/materials which will cope with your climate.

Good luck and keep us updated as to how things are going.
Hi joannek & grom40,

Thanks for your reply. answering joannek first. i was unable to attach the file thus why i used dropbox, the file was only 150k, so very small. in the pic it was a layout of the block etc. i dont need an expert so dont mind your input, and anyone else for that matter. we are located in post code 5073 in sa, rostrevor is suburb. conservation park as backdrop., so really in foot hills of adelaide.

will look up landscape architect association, thanks for heads up.
re grom40. house is at slab stage so planning as much as i can to start work in following weeks. hmm yes i may contact a tafe or uni for help from students. that would be great for them to get experience and save me money.

i have studied plants and grown many successful gardens here, so its the layout im mainly struggling with.
https://db.tt/4fDrW7Z2 again i cant attach, but this link has a jpeg which is 50kb.

thanks again.

regards littlegong
I'd like to see your plan but when I open it on my mobile it doesn't display properly. Can you save it as a jpg? Alternatively there's a sticky on this forum describing how to embed images (note I've also found you can upload to pinterest, copy the image url, then use that when inserting an image into your post).
Whoops didn't read your last post properly. I'm having trouble visualing your garden from the image.
Ive updated the image now to outlined what is what. Same link for image: https://db.tt/4fDrW7Z2
littlegong
Good day,

Building a house, of which ive planned out various areas to have a garden and play area for children etc. As you will see by the attached pdf, i have sort of 3 gardens to create. I don't mind paying someone for the "ideas" however have access to all of the tools and heavy machinery to do the work myself, and would prefer where i can to do this, so i can learn, and pass on these skills to my children as well. The house is a solar passive design, and rated pretty well, the idea is to have a fairly sustainable house, with minimal heating/cooling, and the design has taken into consideration the views from each window. I am trying to create the style of "living picture" where possible, so that each window you look out of, you will see a garden/vegetation.

In post code 5073, so quite cool in winter near conservation park (has park as view from rear garden). I would like to screen out the houses around as much as possible, but not have to be continually looking after the garden to ensure that it looks nice (low maintenance).

The 3 gardens i will have to build are as follows:
Front garden: which will require no doubt moss rocks and or some form of retaining wall, i prefer moss rocks, simple but clean/neat and easily maintained.

Courtyard garden: will be of a Japanese style with crushed rocks, some larger small boulders, nandina domestica, various potted conifers , and this garden can be completely enclosed in summer to block out hte heat, so no trees with canopy which will restrict this. Im happy to put those further back towards the fence, and quite liked chinese tallow, but fear it may be too big over time, also unsure about how invasive root system is. Courtyard size is around 48sqm 8 x 6 roughly.

Rear garden: split up into two sections, an area where kids can play, and at the back i have already created a raised garden bed and planted in fruits/veges etc, this garden bed is around 6mtrs deep x 17 wide. So the part between the garden bed and the house needs to be planned out, and to be honest im at a loss. who would be the best person to get some plans from, in Adelaide that will best understand and be able to guide me, which wont cost me the earth.

Ideally, what i want is a plan and a person/persons i can get feedback from and ask questions. Im not sure if this is done via this forum, or am i asking too much?

Anyway, any feedback will be good. I have a large list of plants ive already used, and am planning to use if this helps.

Link to pic of garden/house: BTW the brown bit is the house: https://www.dropbox.com/s/liwfq9fv18ga9 ... 20v0.1.pdf

Thanks

Littlegong

Hey littlegong,

Just a question what program did you use to help crest your garden?
Due to my lack of knowledge i just grabbed whatever i could find. At the time i went to the local library here and borrowed an app made by Sierra, called 3d Garden planner. It may not be the best, but i can do walkthroughs of the garden in 3d and get a real feel for it, its something that i could start using immediately without any major issues, but prob not as good or complex as Sketchup. This is the one. http://lanzone.info/uploads/posts/2007-11/1196003915_sierra-complete-3d-land-designer-7_0.jpg
Related
29/08/2023
Landscape construction drawings and process

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks very much! And would the landscaper/contractor generally involve the engineer or is that something the client would do? Thanks for your help

11/09/2023
New Construction variations after completing works

Building A New House

I can help you with all that, you can PM me with details if you wish

29/06/2023
Landscape Design Parramatta NSW

Landscape & Garden Design

Landscape Design Parramatta We have been doing a large amount of landscape design work in Sydney…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum