Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

"Borrowed" Landscape...what would you do?

Page 2 of 2
Anne

gorgeous backyard.

TDL

I'd go for a line of trees and a low wire fence so the kids can reach across and pat them. As long as it is strong enough to keep the cows out of your yard, why not enjoy the company while you have it.
DeeElle
TDL

I'd go for a line of trees and a low wire fence so the kids can reach across and pat them. As long as it is strong enough to keep the cows out of your yard, why not enjoy the company while you have it.

Sort of what the next door neighbour has, a row of native trees and a six foot cyclone fence. I don't think DW (nor I) would like a low fence as I'm often away from home......she has a misguided sense that I offer some protection.....
Friends of ours live in the Hills and have cows on the property next door. The kids all lean over the wire fence and pat the cows whenever they wander close. Our DD loves visiting.

I understand your concerns however ... what about a wood picket type fence with rails? It looks so 'country' ... I wouldn't go for steel or aluminum fencing myself.
LOL - nothing wrong with the "borrowed" idea.
We've been in for about 6 weeks now and we still have no fences. Considering VicRoads have notified us that they will not be contributing to the adjoining fence (30m) and we haven't even got a reply from the next door neighbour (17m) and we have to pay the full cost of the other side as it is considered a corner block - we can't afford it yet!
I'm getting used to no fences - the only issue I have is when cars decide to drive around our house (not often but it has happened a couple of times that we know of)... oh and when the neighbours down the road's little kid decided to wander up and knock on the family room doors and scare the crap out of me!
I just consider it all my backyard!

We have contemplated the cyclone fencing option, but I think we will stick to the usual pailing fence - once the budget allows. Until then, we have a HUGE backyard.

Ray.
Yak_Chat
Mike said
Quote:
It is private property at the back but it's a beef farm

They are not beef cows Mikle - Them thar cows are diary cows.
Freisens are milkers not killers.

Dolly2 said
Quote:
I lean my head outside the window when I drive past a dairy. Looove that smell. Takes me back home. But I'm rambling...

Ditto -

Mike - I'd be for getting the view, but what are the breeze like there ?

I had neighbour in the hills who moved in and promptly ripped down a tall solid fence and 'removed a hedge in front of it (to see the views) and they soon found out that in winter the wind ripped up the hill and through his garden onto his outdoor area.

My advice - leave it 12 months, live there - analyse and then decide if you want to change it.

Time lets you see the place in all seasons and see why things have been done.
Steve

good ol' Yak chat.
That is the single best option.
Good and great gardens only happen with a good knowledge of your garden space over the whole year. It can be a stack of coin out the window if you get it wrong.
If it were me , I'd be getting rid of the fence but only after I was sure what will happen
Related
9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

18/01/2024
Would you consider these issues as defects

General Discussion

Hi It came to my attention after the handover that - The facade cladding on the face and the side are not straight. -The face tapers down by 50mm from left to right and…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum