Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Plum Tree Shoots

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I have a couple of plum trees in the back yard that I have trimmed down over winter and shaped. I am a little concerned that there aren't any new green shoots, or blossoms appearing on them.

Is it still a bit early or is there a problem?

I'm looking to put down some Osmocote shortly, with a good coverage of mulch.

Thanks.
Scratch the bark with your finger nail and check if there is any green wood underneath. If its green the tree is ok. It should be flowering in the next couple of weeks, if not then there is a prob. Also check if the buds swelling. Fertiliser is not going to make it wake up btw, later on with fruiting it will help but not with the current issue..
Depends on the plum variety. My Santa Rosa isn't having any bud swell yet, but I'm also down south so mine will shoot a little later.
Thanks guys. I'm happy to report they are still green beneath the bark, and my Amber Jewel just sprung to life today.

Here's hoping to my first crop.
Related
4/08/2023
Tree Identification Mackay

General Discussion

Hello. I just bought a few acres in Habana, Mackay, and my horses seem to love hanging around under this tree. I would like to name the paddock after this tree. Can…

7/01/2024
What tree is this?

General Discussion

Fellow Perth dweller. Looks like pruns nigra. It's a dark leaf flowering plum. Doesn't get massive and is easily trimmed deciduous tree. Very popular in small gardens in Perth

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum