Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Is this a serious issue or not

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys please take a look that this photo. It is of my maple tree. The tree has always looked ok however I am not sure if I need to treat this or not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100246324@N03/
Which bit are you worried about? The red scrapped bits are fine.. As for the massive chunk missing from the trunk.. thats looks old as the tree has healed over the wounds. What happened to it? Do you use a line trimmer or brushcutter around the base to cut the grass?
Yeah spot on when the tree was very young I hit it ever so slightly. Didnt think anything of it at the time. But it just looks much worse now. Just was wondering if I need to treat it. I don't want the tree to die if I can help it.
No point treating it now, its an old injury and the tree has healed. Whatever damage/disease (if any) issues have been and gone.

Lucky it didn't snuff it from that much damage. If it doesn't leaf out or starting looking very crook then call an consulting arborist (if the tree means a lot to you)..
Thanks for your reply.
I also want to put a box around the tree so the grass is not right up to it. If I raise the soil close to or even above this damage is this a problem??
Yep a big problem, best way to kill a tree is to put soil fill over an existing trunk and root system. If you want to box it in instead of using soil use a coarse aggregate like scoria. This allows airflow to the trunk, which will stop the trunk rotting, and allows air to the roots system which is what is keeping your tree alive. For decoration you can put a light layer of chunky wood mulch or decorative pebbles on top of the ugly scoria.
BeatrixKiddo
Yep a big problem, best way to kill a tree is to put soil fill over an existing trunk and root system. If you want to box it in instead of using soil use a coarse aggregate like scoria. This allows airflow to the trunk, which will stop the trunk rotting, and allows air to the roots system which is what is keeping your tree alive. For decoration you can put a light layer of chunky wood mulch or decorative pebbles on top of the ugly scoria.

thanks, I think I will use decorative pebbles I already have. Looks like I have some work to do.
Related
19/07/2023
URGENT·····Garage Boundary Wall Water Proofing Issue

Building A New House

thanks Chippy, i hope they have applied sealer but i am doubt to be honest, so i am gonna do this job after handover.

27/07/2023
James Hardie Linea Weatherboard - Issue - Current Build

General Discussion

Does it wipe off? Could be because of dry dirty drips.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum