Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Jasmine and herbs in the same pot?

Page 1 of 1
Hey all!

I've been trying to find some info online for the last week, but by Google-fu has failed me. I have a large pot that needs some plants put in, and I'm really keen on putting a creeping Jasmine plant in to then climb up the verandah post. Thinking along the lines of a star jasmine, but wondering how well it will go with some herbs in the pot also? I was thinking rosemary (as we use it most) but wondered if the rosemary was too dominant.

This is our first *real* *owned* garden and have absolutely no idea! I've grown some herbs, great with chillies, killed one bonsai already and now have to deal with lawn too!

Anyone who has any tips on the jasmine, would be greatly appreciated!

Sam
Sounds like your the part of your brain that controls gardening it very active

To have a climber of any sort in a pot is a tough gig. It's fine at first but in time starts to be a problem.
You see, climbers can take up huge areas and to travel so far with so much foliage takes lots of water. As the root mass consumes the soil and takes up the pot, it's water needs increase and water holding capacity of the soil drops. Like driving a bus with a fuel tank the size of a juice container. a lot of stops to refuel with water for the jasmine.

the other thing is, it will need to be repotted at some point. so make sure the pot is designed so the plant can come out. It will also mean the job will be really tough to do because this thing will be attached to various wires and trellis. So it might be a case of start over when it needs to be repotted.

Best to have it in the ground.

Rosemary will also need a big pot on it's own. They will get quite big. Having a mix of herbs in pots will work at first but in time will they compete for nutrients.
Best to get a bunch of pots for your herbs or checkout http://growathome.com.au for some ideas.

Great to think about doing a few things in the pot but I want you to succeed at growing your food and a few different ways will be better.
Related
4/02/2024
Pot filler tap over hob

General Discussion

Hello I'm remodeling my kitchen and evaluating ideas. We are in the last stages of drawing and I am now considering putting a pot filler tap in above the hob. Has anyone…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum